• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What to do if you break down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do if you break down

We broke down far from home on a red route in the middle of a busy carriageway. We pushed the smoking car into a bay which was coned off. The car was old and we had spent money on it recently - we decided it was no longer viable with the cost of towing etc, so telephoned scrap dealers. Only one could collect it within the hour, but we had to forfeit any scrap payment, which we accepted.
    We left the car with hazards on, a large note in the window saying awaiting tow, and it was duly collected quickly.
    We provided TFL with the name and address of the scrap dealer, and the confirmation from DVLA that the car was transferred to the dealer on the day of breakdown.
    They have refused the appeal on the grounds that 'we have not provided evidence of breakdown'!!
    What else can we do?
    And if there's a next time, is it better to leave the breakdown in the middle of the carriageway?
    Tags: None

Re: What to do if you break down

I think what they were looking for was an AA or similar report . They assume you dumped it there and got the the scrappy to collect . Ask why the documents are insufficient proof of breakdown and what they need in the circs. Appeal . I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon . Didyou take any pics of the smoke coming out of the car ?

Comment

Have you asked if this section of the road is covered by CCTV or any other cameras that may show your vehicle breaking down?

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
        I think what they were looking for was an AA or similar report . They assume you dumped it there and got the the scrappy to collect . Ask why the documents are insufficient proof of breakdown and what they need in the circs. Appeal . I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon . Didyou take any pics of the smoke coming out of the car ?
        Ah - makes sense. No, didn't think to take a photo. Honestly, how much grief can London put you through..... (sighs)

- - - Updated - - -

Good thinking - I'll ask when I appeal, again. Thanks guys for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Mouldylocks View Post
          Ah Honestly, how much grief can London put you through..... (sighs)
          That's one of the reasons why we dropped out to Wales in the seventies!!:hippie:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X