• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell/shop direct court paper ...what next

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lowell/shop direct court paper ...what next

OK thanks guys

Comment

Btw
      The lady was also using the HSBC case
      If this was Carey v HSBC [2009]
      http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2009/3417.html
      At 231
      ...........for so long as the breach persists. If it does, the agreement remains unenforceable
      The breach referred to is non-compliance with s78 CCA
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I am right in thinking a copy of the contract even if it was a 2006 one isn't not sufficient since this was a 2006 debt and it should have been a signed one ?

Comment

Originally posted by màid_Màrián View Post
          I am right in thinking a copy of the contract even if it was a 2006 one isn't not sufficient since this was a 2006 debt and it should have been a signed one ?
          Not necessarily a 'wet ink' signature, though.
          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/3236/note/made
          http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...article/4/made
          Applicable from 31/12/2004.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

But the copy would have to be a signed one and not a blank one like what they produced and convinced the judge was OK?

She was saying pre 2007 or not it's all the same

Comment

But the copy would have to be a signed one and not a blank one like what they produced and convinced the judge was OK?

She was saying pre 2007 or not it's all the same
              It's all very complicated, but as far as I know re signatures:
              The Electronic Communications Order (links above, post #139) amended the Agreements Regs 1983 s6 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/6/made) to allow for online/electronic signatures.

However, the 'pre-2007' issue concerns the so-called 'prescribed terms' (or lack of them).
              In the original CCA 1974, if any the relevant terms were missing from the agreement, then s127.3 kicked in & the court was barred from enforcing the agreement.
              This was changed via the Consumer Credit Act 2006, & so from April 2007, s127.3 was done away with & enforcement is now at the court's discretion.

I think I've got that right! :dizzy:
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

So the judge can just
                Make his own mind up like he did :/ ... well best arrange my 1st payment of 6 years worth

Comment

So the judge can just
                  Make his own mind up like he did :/ ... well best arrange my 1st payment of 6 years worth
                  In your particular case I believe the judge made an error.
                  If the Claimant has failed to comply with s78 CCA, the agreement is unenforceable until the non-compliance is remedied.
                  It is not for anyone to presume that it can/may/possibly be able to remedy; s78(6) is clear on that.
                  At the very least there should have been an adjournment; even better would have been an 'unless' order. (ie 7 days to produce or the claim is struck out, that sort of thing).
                  If it were me as a Defendant, unless the judge at the hearing explained carefully why he came to his decision (& I agreed with his explanation) I would probably want written 'reasons' with view to taking it further. (With one eye on potential costs, of course).
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks I'm going to speak to a solicitor in person this week and take all the info and see what she makes of it may. You guys have been fantastic. His reason for not asking to see a copy was that he felt seeing a true copy of the terms was going to make me remember the debt so it was pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
                      By the time you sit down to Christmas Dinner this ordeal will all be history and your life won't have changed one iota
                      When I made the above post last month I meant every single word of it.

You may have grounds for an appeal but a transcript of the hearing (the first essential for an appeal) could cost you £200 depending on the length of the hearing. Then if you lose the appeal you are vulnerable to the other side's legal costs despite this being a Small Claims Court Issue. This is a £1k claim (give or take).

Do you really want to put yourself through more purgatory?

From the way you describe the events of the hearing the other side's legal representative ambushed you before you even went into court.

It seems from what you say that you were tricked into admitting your PTSD may have been responsible for clouding your recollection of events (not getting the Ts & Cs etc.)

That then enabled the DJ (who was given this information by the other side's legal representative) to take the view that on the balance of probabilities you got them but your head was in a fog so you didn't remember.

If I've misunderstood the situation then I apologise.

What I can say from following your thread is that to me you come across as a good person who tells the truth. If the DJ didn't see that then that's his problem.

It's your choice as to how you deal with things from now on.

If you can agree a respectable payment option so you can walk away from this horror knowing you have the moral high ground and move on with your life then that's one option to consider.

If you want to fight on then I'm sure you'll get the support you need from the forum to do that.

Either way you'll sit down to Christmas dinner as the same person you were before all this horrid legal stuff got in the way of you enjoying your life

Di

Comment

Thanks I'm going to speak to a solicitor in person this week and take all the info and see what she makes of it may. You guys have been fantastic. His reason for not asking to see a copy was that he felt seeing a true copy of the terms was going to make me remember the debt so it was pointless
                        Hi MM

When you speak to your sol, also ask her about the possibility of court fee remission.
                        I do (reluctantly) agree with [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION]; it is easy to get carried away with righteous indignation, especially when you've been hard done by, but it is sensible to step back & consider from a pragmatic POV. (Hence my previous comment re costs).
                        I'll be interested to see what your sol has to say.
                        I wouldn't be at all surprised if part of her advice is that, sometimes, the law is an ass!
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hey guys ... I think iv come to the desission I'm just going to pay it off. This has really took its toll on me and I have other things to take my time like my 4 beautiful kids. Iv also had my medication changed and it's making me feel awful so the last thing I need is another day at court lol thanks for ALL your help. Every single one and I hope anyone else reading this gets some help. If I was to do it again and be armed with as much legislation as you can get and be prepped for them twisting it lol

Comment

Hey guys ... I think iv come to the desission I'm just going to pay it off. This has really took its toll on me and I have other things to take my time like my 4 beautiful kids. Iv also had my medication changed and it's making me feel awful so the last thing I need is another day at court lol thanks for ALL your help. Every single one and I hope anyone else reading this gets some help. If I was to do it again and be armed with as much legislation as you can get and be prepped for them twisting it lol
                            A good choice I think!!

Best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                              I do (reluctantly) agree with @Diana M; it is easy to get carried away with righteous indignation, especially when you've been hard done by, but it is sensible to step back & consider from a pragmatic POV.
                              I agree with that

Since the OP didn't ask the DJ for permission to appeal at the end of the hearing they will have to first make an application for permission to appeal before any appeal will be considered.

My personal view is that sometimes it's just not worth the emotional wear 'n' tear. Being in the right can be good enough.

MM you did brilliantly. You faced your fears and survived. You should be proud of yourself for doing that. Christmas spent with your four children more than compensates for the time spent in court.

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X