• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Creditor admits no agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creditor admits no agreement

I need some advice please.

I originally had debt with Shop Direct which was a Littlewoods catalogue opened up in 19999.

They sold the debt onto TDX Group back in December 2012.

I have been in contact with TDX Group recently asking for information on the debt.

All they have provided is some basic statement of account.

They have said that Shop Direct cannot locate an original agreement.

Plus, TDX Group have said the debt has now been sold back to Shop Direct back in September, yet I've heard nothing from Shop Direct.

So my question is, there is no signed valid credit agreement agreement and only a basic statement of account.

Is the debt valid!?
    Tags: None

Re: Creditor admits no agreement

Originally posted by Spellkaster View Post
    I need some advice please.

I originally had debt with Shop Direct which was a Littlewoods catalogue opened up in 19999.

They sold the debt onto TDX Group back in December 2012.

I have been in contact with TDX Group recently asking for information on the debt.

All they have provided is some basic statement of account.

They have said that Shop Direct cannot locate an original agreement.

Plus, TDX Group have said the debt has now been sold back to Shop Direct back in September, yet I've heard nothing from Shop Direct.

So my question is, there is no signed valid credit agreement agreement and only a basic statement of account.

Is the debt valid!?
    AfaIk, an assignment, particularly a simple chose which has been sold for value, cannot be 're-assigned' to the assignor; once sold & the obligor has been informed in writing (a necessity for legal assignment), it is irrevocable.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Charity

This is an interesting point that you have made, and makes me wonder what has happened in my case.

my debt with a bank was sold to a dca whilst the bank was aware of my mental health issues. when i complained to the bank (once the dca made contact with me) the bank advised me that they brought the debt back.

just wondering then if they really brought the debt back or just paid the dca the cost that they had paid for it?

Comment

Hi Brainmelt

The 'rules' governing assignment, novation etc are very complicated, having been established via common law & legislation over a very long period of time.

This is made more complicated by the fact that some legislation impinges on others (ie the LoPA 1925 is affected by the Consumer Credit Act 1974), & to some degree by the terms/conditions of the contract.

Therefore there isn't a 'one size fits all' answer; each case will turn on it's own unique facts.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by Brainmelt View Post
          Hi Charity

This is an interesting point that you have made, and makes me wonder what has happened in my case.

my debt with a bank was sold to a dca whilst the bank was aware of my mental health issues. when i complained to the bank (once the dca made contact with me) the bank advised me that they brought the debt back.

just wondering then if they really brought the debt back or just paid the dca the cost that they had paid for it?
          That information would be seen as commercially sensitive.

I do know however that some creditors have/had agreements with debt purchasers to " take back" some problem debts if a dispute arose after the sale of a debt.

nem

Comment

Without a signed agreement is the debt enforceable please!?

Comment

Imho, trying to use this as a technicality will be blown out of the water via Carey v HSBC (2009).
              (Although that was concerning s78 requests, the same or similar argument applies.)

What makes you think a signed copy doesn't exist?
              Have you SAR'd the original creditor?
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

The possibility exists that a " reconstituted" agreement could be produced, but there is an even greater possibility that a recon may not be compliant.

Charity makes a good point re a SAR.

Comment

I have sent letters to TDX Group asking for various documentation to prove the debt exists.

They failed to provide terms and conditions, said quite clearly Shop Direct notified them there is no agreement and only produced a basic statement of account.

Comment

I have sent letters to TDX Group asking for various documentation to prove the debt exists.

They failed to provide terms and conditions, said quite clearly Shop Direct notified them there is no agreement and only produced a basic statement of account.
                    It looks to me that this is going nowhere Spellkaster!

nem

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      AfaIk, an assignment, particularly a simple chose which has been sold for value, cannot be 're-assigned' to the assignor; once sold & the obligor has been informed in writing (a necessity for legal assignment), it is irrevocable.
                      What does that mean then!?

Comment

What does that mean then!?
                        It mean once the debt has been sold the seller cannot buy it back.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                          It mean once the debt has been sold the seller cannot buy it back.

nem
                          That's what the letter says from TDX that they have sold the debt back to the OC.

Comment

That's what the letter says from TDX that they have sold the debt back to the OC.
                            Ok,

Given that there is no agreement now ( one would have existed for the account to be opened) the debt is unenforceable via the courts.

A creditor can attempt to produce a " reconstituted " agree that satisfies a CCA request.

However the underlying debt remains viable and collectable by any means other than litigation.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                              Ok,

Given that there is no agreement now ( one would have existed for the account to be opened) the debt is unenforceable via the courts.

A creditor can attempt to produce a " reconstituted " agree that satisfies a CCA request.

However the underlying debt remains viable and collectable by any means other than litigation.

nem
                              Thanks.

Is it worth asking if they can write the debt off as they admit there is no agreement!?

Its for £280.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X