• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Richburns Chasing British Gas Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richburns Chasing British Gas Debt

I've just received a letter from debt recovery agents Richburns, acting on behalf of British Gas apparently. They sent the letter on the 19th May and will begin sending agents to enter the property from today onward.

The debt they're chasing is already being paid off. It was a huge British Gas bill that was completely wrong, over 3,000 for a quarter? I called BG several times, sent them a couple of emails, sent them a letter, each time they said yes, the bill is wrong, we are reversing the charges on the account. Very sorry for any distress caused.

So I thought matter closed, until a few months ago when we started receiving red letters through the post.

Again I began the emails and telephone calls, getting different people every time. Each one saying yep, sorry, bill can't be right. Ignore the letters and they'll stop. In the end though, I decided to agree a monthly payment plan to clear the outstanding amount, then I'd claim that back when I had more time to challenge them legally and seek advice from a solicitor.

However, despite agreeing to pay the outstanding balance in 6 instalments, of which I've already paid 2 off, they've now passed the debt to recovery agents who are charging me 36 for a visit and 206 once they've smashed the door down.

So what do I do now? Keep paying BG? Pay Richburns? Call the police (they won't help, Civil Matter, not of their concern)
    Tags: None

Re: Richburns Chasing British Gas Debt

Good morning, welcome to LB

Richburns from Barking Essex, George Ritchie MD worked for BG for 20+ years.

Has this been to court, did BG get a magistrates warrant to enter the property and disconnect the service?

I presume you are still supplied by BG?

Did you make a formal complaint about the huge bill or did you deal with the totally useless BG Customer (dis) Service department?

nem

Comment

No court order, this is the first I've heard of any issues. We got the red letters ofcourse and that's why I decided to ignore what I was told on the phone and pay by instalments, atleast so the letters stopped.

Still supplied by BG as the property is up for sale and there's no point switching suppliers.

This started a few months ago when we got estimated usage bills that were far beyond the realms of reality. The first bill was around 900 for a quarters use on a small house with two occupants. I complained over the phone, they reversed the charges.

I tried submitting meter readings online but they always emailed back to say 'Sorry, there's been a problem with your meter reading, please call etc etc'

I've only taken it as far as customer services, who were helpful but don't appear to have made the automatic system aware that the debt is being paid in instalments. It can't handle that, so it's just sent it straight to debt recovery who are chasing for more than the outstanding bill

Comment

British Gas - Residential Energy
        Mr Stephen Beynon Managing Director
        Email Stephen.Beynon@britishgas.co.uk
        Telephone 01753 494343
        Website http://www.britishgas.co.uk
        Perhaps an email here? Explain the situation. I've found that quite often the people at the top know nothing about the great mess the underlings are creating.

Comment

Originally posted by siberian2005 View Post
          No court order, this is the first I've heard of any issues. We got the red letters ofcourse and that's why I decided to ignore what I was told on the phone and pay by instalments, atleast so the letters stopped.

Still supplied by BG as the property is up for sale and there's no point switching suppliers.

This started a few months ago when we got estimated usage bills that were far beyond the realms of reality. The first bill was around £900 for a quarters use on a small house with two occupants. I complained over the phone, they reversed the charges.

I tried submitting meter readings online but they always emailed back to say 'Sorry, there's been a problem with your meter reading, please call etc etc'

I've only taken it as far as customer services, who were helpful but don't appear to have made the automatic system aware that the debt is being paid in instalments. It can't handle that, so it's just sent it straight to debt recovery who are chasing for more than the outstanding bill.
          OK,

You need to raise a formal complaint addressed to the MD of BG list all the events, letters, calls and the history of agreed installments etc.
          Layout the bills /estimates and the facts you have state here about the size of the property etc.

I think BG in it's tradition of one department/person not communicating with each other has caused this problem. Their CS people have no authority other than a company script i.e. BG is always right and computer says no!

Tell Richburns that you have raised a formal complaint/ dispute with BG.

nem

Comment

As an update to this.

I've just paid the outstanding balance. I tried explaining over the phone but the response was just, yes I see the problem but that's not anything to do with us. The debt has already been passed for collection so your complaint with BG isn't anything to do with them.

We also had two visits from collectors but that seems to have now stopped since I handed over the money.

The recovery people did call BG while I was on hold but all they said was 'Sorry, we cannot process these meter readings, we'll call you back in a few days'. I've not heard anything since?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X