• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Our chance to buy the freehold ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our chance to buy the freehold ...

Appreciate some thoughts on this one!

I purchased me leasehold flat in April 2015. The block was built in 2010 and the landlord subsequently went into receivership. We understood that this was due to the prices being unrealisticallyhigh and unachievable. But marketing continued during this receivership and all flats have now been sold, last completion was on the last two months.

As such, and as we had been promised, the freehold has become available.There are 66 flats here with a ground rent of £250 pa each.

We had been told that the tenants have first refusal and the first approachwas via the managing agents of the block. The residents held a subsequent meeting to assess interest, after being given a figure of around £9100 per flat to buy the freehold, assuming a 51% take up. This was assuming an offer price on the freehold of around £300,000, although this was substantially more than we had been indicatedwhen we viewed to buy, everyone being given a figure of £2000 - £3000 per flat. We all understood that we could negotiate on that figure and as such wewere waiting to hear of an offer price.

The next thing we all received was a three page letter ( sent to everyone four times by the way ) laid out as the copies here on the attachments supplied. .
    This is suggesting that we retain the opportunity to buy the freehold but the sale can only go to auction. Am I reading this right? I think we all felt that we would be offered the freehold at a price and collectively we had to agree and take it from there, but it now seems that we may collectively have to bid at auction?

All opinions on this matter will be gratefully received, we have a residents meeting in two days to discuss this very matter. Also, is there an established formula for calculating the offer price on the freehold?

Thanks in advance guys! :goodjob:
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Our chance to buy the freehold ...

PS ... our initial thinking is to proceed to obtain the Right To Manage as this may dissuade any property developers from bidding on the freehold who may otherwise consider it rich pickings for ground rent and hiking management fees ...

Comment

That document is worded terribly, purposefully probably.

Also, is there an established formula for calculating the offer price on the freehold?
      ys i believe so, i will ask someone i know to confirm something i think will be relevant before i put it down, be carfull here, sounds like the agent has a deal in mind
      crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Would really appreciate some further opinion here ..... Thanks guys.

Comment

Bumping.

Comment

Hi all ..

WE had our leaseholders meeting last night and the chairman stated that through his own enquiries, and although the freehold has to be offered to the leaseholders in the first instance, the reason that it is going to auction is that the receivers have a common law ( is that the right word? ) obligation to achieve the best possible price and as such not 'be seen to undersell' in favour of the creditors. Hence going to auction is perceived as 'achieving the best possible price' although I can see flaws in that argument.

What the chairman continued to be advised is that whatever winning bid is made at auction, and before the successful bidder can proceed with, that bid had to be put back to the leaseholders for an opportunity to match and therefore, if they wish, proceed to buy the freehold. There was mistrust expressed at that theory as why would anyone in their right minds want to bid on a freehold that had been advised as 'pending refusal by the current leaseholders? And indeed, would the auction house make that entirely clear on the day?

There was also comment that if a sale price of £330,000 was achieved, and taking the ground rents at say 67 x £250 pa, that would realise a 'yield' at 5% which was described as 'aggressive'. Would anyone agree with that?

All comments welcome !

Comment

Just bumping this thread up .... please be spontaneous !

Comment

Hi @Snoopy1948

I think you have some more options than that, but i need to ask someone whos dealt with these type purchases and he is away at the mo, I have dealt with the investment plans around these

There was also comment that if a sale price of £330,000 was achieved, and taking the ground rents at say 67 x £250 pa, that would realise a 'yield' at 5% which was described as 'aggressive'. Would anyone agree with that?
                5% is low, perhaps a yield of 8-10 % would be more of any investors target, but that would also include increasing value of the leasehold Heres a basic breakdown
                https://investmentproperty.co.uk/pro...nvestment-roi/

Hence going to auction is perceived as 'achieving the best possible price' although I can see flaws in that argument.
                Agreed, costs and fees that would be charged by doing it this way, can be removed off the valuation price if the owners purchase it ( i think, am fairly sure )

What the chairman continued to be advised is that whatever winning bid is made at auction, and before the successful bidder can proceed with, that bid had to be put back to the leaseholders for an opportunity to match and therefore, if they wish, proceed to buy the freehold. There was mistrust expressed at that theory as why would anyone in their right minds want to bid on a freehold that had been advised as 'pending refusal by the current leaseholders? And indeed, would the auction house make that entirely clear on the day?
                The above ways, fixes and guarantees the agents/managers fees at the most. I bet there all trying to say its the only way forward.

For you current owners, i may suggest a punt at the following

1. get 3 proper valuations/estimations on the lease ( or more until you get 3 low enough )
                2 Do an estimate of the auction fees, agents fees, transfair and legal fees,,, ( all possible fees )
                3. Take the fees, off the valuation ( then maybe another 20% off ) and offer them that without the cost of the auction.

I will try chase my friend u next week see if he can offer any advice,

this sort of details out the things involved in valuing the lease abit

http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...nt.asp?item=10
                crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X