• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MET parking charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MET parking charge

I received a MET parking charge on 01/03/16, the offense was 22/02/16.

Was parked at McDonalds Gatwick for 10 minutes more than the 60 minutes free parking.

We were a customer of McDonalds (dont have a receipt), car broke down so called AA hence overstaying for 10 minutes. I've requested proof of the AA call out from themselves which can take 28 days to arrive...

Now, rightly or wrongly i haven't yet responded to MET. They've since sent me a few 'REMINDERS'...

What would the best action to take be? Shall i tell them i will be appealing once i get the proof of breakdown from AA, or wait until that arrives and contact them.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: MET parking charge

Are you out of time to appeal ? If not

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...dule/4/enacted

When you say 10 minutes can you be exact ?

M1

Comment

The initial letter says i have 28 days to appeal, those 28 days have since passed.

However, the most recent letter 'CHARGE IS NOW OVERDUE' states 'further information on how to pay, the right to appeal (please be advised that the independent appeals service (POPLA) is no longer available), etc can be found on the reverse of the notice.

Yes i can be exact to the time overstayed as they have provided time stamped CCTV images.

Comment

Any idea how i should proceed?

Thank you

Comment

Can you tell me the time over exactly ? 10 minutes ?? seconds

M1

Comment

13 minutes and 15 seconds

(slightly longer than i first thought)

Comment

And how far out of the 28 day appeals window are you ?

M1

Comment

Their initial notice is dated 01/03/16

So around 50 days outside the appeals window

Comment

In that case, i'd hassle the McD manager and file any/all paperwork unless you get court papers.

Arguably they have not given the grace periods as per the BPA code of practice section 13. 10 minutes grace to exit and another, undefined grace period to enter and accept the "contract". It's unlikely to enter in to discussion with MET who will say it's too late.

M1

Comment

Is being broken down and overstaying the 1 hour free period grounds not to pay the charge? If not then i'll cough up and pay, or shall i offer to pay a smaller charge to them?

Comment

Well if you accept that there is a contract then due to unforeseen circumstances you were unable to perform your side of the deal. This would be frustration of contract.

I forgot about the breakdown, so i would write to them and point it out along with copies of the paperwork. I think they'll reject/ignore you but in the unlikely event they do court the evidence falls in your favour. Don't forget to use this with the manager too.

M1

Comment

Ok thank you.

So shall i say something along the lines of,.... "Due to my vehicle breaking down i was unable to vacate the carpark in the allotted timescale, (evidence of breakdown provided). Please can you let me off the parking charge. (?)

Comment

Dear Sirs,

I, as registered keeper, wish to appeal your parking charge notice. The driver suffered from mechanical issues which precluded them from vacating the premises (see AA report). As such any contract between driver and yourselves which may have existed would be subject to the doctrine of frustration of contract. They were also a genuine customer.

Yours etc

It might be too late to appeal but i'd still phrase it as such. Don't forget the McD manager needs to get some verbals too.

M1

Comment

Many thanks. I'm waiting to receive the AA report but once it arrives i'll send the letters off and update here as and when.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X