• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received Statutory Demand for 8 years old debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received Statutory Demand for 8 years old debt

deleted
    Last edited by Anonymouse12; 14th May 2016, 17:26:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Received Statutory Demand for 8 years old debt

What was the judgment following the court case over 8 years ago?

Am I right in assuming that you didn't take legal action regarding the money you say is owed to you?

Comment

deleted

Comment

So then he holds a judgment against you for that amount.
        Was this to be paid 'forthwith', or were there repayments conditions, and if the latter, what happened?

I appreciate what you say about him owing you more than you owe him, but the simple fact is that he holds a judgment against you, where you don't have one to cancel that out. In legal terms, he seems to hold the cards here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafka View Post
          So then he holds a judgment against you for that amount.
          Was this to be paid 'forthwith', or were there repayments conditions, and if the latter, what happened?

I appreciate what you say about him owing you more than you owe him, but the simple fact is that he holds a judgment against you, where you don't have one to cancel that out. In legal terms, he seems to hold the cards here.
          There was no repayment plan - it was to be paid "forthwith" but then he disappeared for 6 years and appeared only one year ago once, when he instructed his lawyer. Once I responded to his lawyer, he disappeared again.

Now he appeared again with statutory demand. Is it possible so? Should he need a lawyer to serve me a statutory demand? And what about his debts to me as well?

What would you suggest? Shall I challenge the demand to be "set aside"? I can prove his debt.

Comment

His alleged debts to you are zero in this case until you get a CCJ on him after this 8 years might be a problem you can challenge the SD set aside after so long may be impossible you need a Solicitors advice here

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymouse12 View Post
                Isn't the CCJ to him become statute barred after 8 years?
                No - a CCJ doesn't go statute barred, however to enforce on the CCJ he would need to obtain permission of the court. CPR 40 (4) If no payment has been made under the judgment or order for 6 years before the date of the application, the court officer must refer the application to the District Judge. The Judgment holder must explain why they haven't enforced for 6 years. I'd guess being in prison is a good reason though.

With a Judgment he doesn't need to do a stat demand to bring bankruptcy proceedings - but should ask the court for permission to enforce and that enforcement fail before doing so.
                Is the Stat Demand form 6.2 ? You could apply to have it set-aside but it sounds like it would be safer just to make an arrangement to pay it.

If you feel he owes you more than you owe him, then you need to bring a claim against him. You can sue him while he is in prison. You might have issues with limitations on your side though if the debt he owes you was over 6 years ago. But it is a completely spearate thing, you lost in court and have been judged you owe him the money, therefore you need to pay it.

You should also get in contact with the police regarding the threats and the intimidation you are under from this man.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X