• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Foreign Marriage registration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Marriage registration

My wife and I were married in Mexico in 2002. It was organised by Virgin Weddings. Our marriage certificate is in Spanish.

I assumed that Virgin Wedding would register the marriage in the UK which I don't believe happened.

When I google how to get my marriage recognised in the UK, I see advice about getting our certificate translated while in Mexico. Obviously that ship has sailed. My next thought was just get married again in the UK. I looked at what documents are required and most seem fine but I'm concerned over forms of ID for my wife. Apparently, you need proof of name change . As soon as we were married, my wife adopted my surname and now all her forms of ID liked passport and driving license are in our married name but she never changed her name by deed poll so there is no documentation of this. Can my wife use her current passport/driving license with her married name on or does she need to have these in her old maiden name?

So basically, 3 questions.

1. Without going to Mexico, can I get my Spanish wedding certificate recognised in the UK
    2. If not, can my wife and I get married in the UK if her current identification documents are in her married name despite not having any documentation of her surname change?
    3. For the purposes of obtaining a will, are we married or not right now?
    Tags: None

Re: Foreign Marriage registration

If you were legally married under Mexican rules then you are legally married under UK law. By all means get the Spanish certificate translated into English to have to hand if people ask.

Think about it, how would the world run if a marriage in one country is not recognised in another?

What brought on this concern ?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      If you were legally married under Mexican rules then you are legally married under UK law. By all means get the Spanish certificate translated into English to have to hand if people ask.

Think about it, how would the world run if a marriage in one country is not recognised in another?

What brought on this concern ?
      I'm trying to sort out wills for my wife and I. Since it is just the two of us, I want a simple mirror will so I looked at online will writing services. The first thing they ask is if you're married. If there is no record of the marriage in the UK, I wasn't sure whether this would cause problems with the validity of the will if one of us were to die.

The mortgage is only in my name and I want to ensure she won't lose the house if I were to die.

Comment

Did your wife use her marriage certificate to change her name on her passport and other legal documents such as driving licence? I was married in Gibraltar and had to produce my marriage licence to change my name on bank accounts, passport etc. If these authorities accepted the Mexican certificate then there should not be a problem.

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
        ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X