• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Selling property - suddenly windows have blown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling property - suddenly windows have blown

I'm selling my maisonette, conveyancing quite advanced. Buyers' solicitor raised questions about damaged windows. So I go to the property to check and am surprised to see a number of double glazed windows have condensation inside. I'm being hustled to sell but shouldn't I get the windows inspected and fixed first? How can I sell until this is sorted?

Thank in anticipation of any advice
    Tags: None

Re: Selling property - suddenly windows have blown

Two choices....

1) Sell the property and bring the defect to the attention of the buyers before contracts are exchanged. That will result in either a request for reduction in the price or the buyer pulling out altogether.

2) Have the windows inspected and repaired if necessary. It will take as long as it takes and will show to the buyer that you are considerate, not wanting to sell them a property with defects. If there is a warranty on the windows it shouldn't cost you anything.

Comment

I agree totally with the first response on this.

Were the windows fitted during your occupation of the property? If not, do you know their age and whether the installer was FENSA registered?

I sold my house is February last year and I recognised that I had five windows where the double glazing seal unit had lost its seal and was indeed heavily misted at times. I know that any purchaser would probably have a minimum of a House Buyers report done and the windows would be an easy thing to pick up. I actually opted to have the failed double glazing units replaced by a local firm who does nothing but and amazingly they only cost me some £300.

As already said, you can either negotiate on their replacement but if you are hoping to get your agreed asking price, it may be better for you to be in control and have them assessed, priced and replaced if they have become a deal breaker. It sounds like this buyer is putting negotiations via his solicitor so having them repaired and receipted may satisfy the problem quickly. But you will have to get them priced to know if you wish to do this. And these guys are usually in and out in no time, I was amazed hoe quickly mine were done.

Comment

Thanks for putting this in perspective. This is a help

Comment

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide this information. I'm sorry I've taken so long.

Good news is that seven panes to replace the failed units will cost about £550 (have got a firm quote). I found someone on Checkatrade, may have got it cheaper but he is well recommended. I'm stunned - expected thousands! No really, it was a major worry.

Now this is the interesting bit - the window man said the usual cause of failed units in a new property (in this case 9 years old) is the equipment window cleaners use that shoots water onto the windows with some considerable force! And coincidently a window cleaner has been cleaning them since late June last year.

So thanks again for your advice, I appreciate it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X