• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Virgin Media Contract Cancellation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Media Contract Cancellation

Hi all,

A friend of mine has Virgin Media and 7 months remaining on his contract. Last week he moved in to a new flat with his girlfriend and wanted to move his Virgin package to his new flat. Virgin then told him they were unable to provide their service in that area and so he has now signed up with BT who will be installing fiber etc. this week. /

However, Virgin are now trying to charge him for the remainder of his contract.... Is this fair / Legal?

They are unable to provide the service in his new area and so he has no choice but to go with another provider. Can they really charge him the remaing 7 months to cancel his subscription considering they can't provide the service?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Virgin Media Contract Cancellation

It's always a sticky point, I would argue that it is an unfair penalty to charge someone when the services cannot be performed by the supplier and then charge the customer for the remainder of the contract. What if (maybe not in your friends case but) the person had a reason for moving due to a change of job? Does that mean he should be penalised for moving into an area not covered by Virgin, certainly sounds unfair to me, but Virgin will argue that their setup costs etc. will need to be recovered. My argument to that is that unless they had to physically installed the cabling for your friend then the have done that themselves for the use of virgin customers whoever that may be and the particular cabling was not brought about just because your friend wanted to take Virgin services - it was already there in the first place.

Anyway, there is a clause in the contract which says that they can charge for the remainder of the contract but as above, I would be disputing this.

When the OFT was about hey provided some guidance on unfair terms. Here is an example which is similar to the Virgin clause albeit worded in a different way. They found that the term was unfair and should be deleted.

RMCL may from time to time and without notice suspend the Services (… and duringany period of suspension the Customer shall remain liable for the Annual MonitoringFee) if the Customer does, or allows to be done, anything which in RMCL's opinionmay have the effect of jeopardising the operation of the Services
    As you can see, although Virgin's term is not quite the same, the point being is that if you move to another address then you are liable for the remainder of the contract if they cannot provide the service to your friend. They are effectively recovering monies from the contract without having to supply the service.
    Last edited by R0b; 10th May 2016, 12:52:PM.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X