• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Non Compete Clause

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non Compete Clause

Originally posted by reptile View Post
    That is interesting reading. I agree that there should be a period of time where the employee should not have access to anything that may compromise the employers interests but I am of the opinion that it is the employer that is gaining an advantage (or not receiving a disadvantage) and therefore should pay for it in the guise of "Gardening Leave".

She paid £250 for an hours consultation and written confirmation of advice.

Thanks!

Reptile
    Yip I agree that Gardening Leave is a good alternative - although of course restricts when a new job can begin, and disrupts progress, keeping up to date on industry matters and so on - she may well be offered GL instead of working her notice period ( 3 months?), in which case she could argue (at the very least) the non compete runs concurrently to the GL.

As Account manager I'm not sure I'd agree in the restraint of trade bit - it's a position that can be appropriate to different industries, it hugely depends exactly what the job was and what the industry is. The area England/Wales/Ireland etc could be deemed too wide - but again depends massively on the industry.

I reckon so long as she doesn't go to the new employer and start chasing after her old clients or ex-colleagues she should be fine.

Thanks for the idea of cost - it helps to have a figure in mind when looking into the various fixed fees.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Yep, just be aware that because one lawyer says its unenforceable does not mean another lawyer will agree.

This article from a top law firm gives a decent guide if you wish to get some further information www.linklaters.com/pdfs/mkt/london/GC2081_Covenant_INT_Final.pdf

So be prepared if your wife decides to accept a job with a competitor
      Last edited by R0b; 15th June 2016, 17:10:PM.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The only other option would be for her to get permission from someone with authority e.g. the account director agreeing not to exercise their right to bring a claim for breach of non compete clause.

Comment

Originally posted by reptile View Post
          Hi R0b,

The main point that she said was wholly unreasonable was the "restraint of trade".

Thank you

Reptile
          Yep. just as I stated above at post number 8, the clause was effectively a 'restraint of her trade.' A good employment lawyer knows their stuff but generic lawyers ie not employment law experienced simply would not. These type of non complete clauses are not infrequent as employers do try it on to 'control' the employee. So what it is the law on balance? Well, it is simply an unfair deprivation of her right to earn a living, ie against the public interest even if it, the non compete clause, were normally enforceable: Nordenfelt v Maxim Nordenfelt Guns & Ammunition Co Ltd [1894] A.C. 535; Esso Petroleum Co Ltd v Harper's Garage (Stourport) Ltd [1968] A.C. 269. For instance even if the employer were to have a 'legitimate interest' ie a genuine right to use a non compete clause, it still must not be unreasonably wide: TSC Europe (UK) Ltd v Massey [1999] I.R.L.R. 22. Said legitimate interest simply must not be more than is reasonably necessary notwithstanding it cannot have the effect of a penalty: Office Angels v Rainer-Thomas [1991] I.R.L.R. 214.

Moreover, in addition to a genuine interest the clause must be specific: Norbrook Laboratories (GB) Ltd v Adair [2008] EWHC 978, ie on your facts there is no specific job type but there is a 12 month period: Norbrook. However this could also be construed as a penalty as it is effectively a deprivation of employment for a year without stating what type of employment the non compete clause covers, other than the employer having a legitimate interest: op cit Office Angels [1991], et al.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X