• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax unfair overdraft fee claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax unfair overdraft fee claims

Hello,

Id just like to ask a couple of questions regarding if I could claim my overdraft fees back.
    My situation is Im a student on my 3rd year and have been with halifax since 1st year. I have had over 5 £28 unplanned over draft fees from halifax since then. one or two is my fault I would say but the others I wouldn't say so. I had bills come out and took money from my account which put me under my overdraft, they all returned the money automatically when they realised I did not have sufficient money in my account within 24 hours or immediately after.

I was told by the halifax representative when signing up that I can go over my overdraft fees by £10 before I get any charges. However there was a few occasions when some spending came out late and I thought I had more money in the bank which I spent which then made me go over drawn by £5 or under and I still got the £28 charged fee! There's also a time when the fee came out when I didn't have money in my acc that made me go overdraft again. I got a letter saying I was being charged another £28 because of this! As you can probably tell I'm struggling with my money and I'm also pregnant and due in a few weeks which means more coming out of my acc. I can't afford this cycle of charges at all as I'm in financial hardship.

Is there a way to stop these fees and also claim back some of the charges I paid?
    Tags: None

Re: Halifax unfair overdraft fee claims

Originally posted by SupercoolJo View Post
    Hello,

Id just like to ask a couple of questions regarding if I could claim my overdraft fees back.
    My situation is Im a student on my 3rd year and have been with halifax since 1st year. I have had over 5 £28 unplanned over draft fees from halifax since then. one or two is my fault I would say but the others I wouldn't say so. I had bills come out and took money from my account which put me under my overdraft, they all returned the money automatically when they realised I did not have sufficient money in my account within 24 hours or immediately after.

I was told by the halifax representative when signing up that I can go over my overdraft fees by £10 before I get any charges. However there was a few occasions when some spending came out late and I thought I had more money in the bank which I spent which then made me go over drawn by £5 or under and I still got the £28 charged fee! There's also a time when the fee came out when I didn't have money in my acc that made me go overdraft again. I got a letter saying I was being charged another £28 because of this! As you can probably tell I'm struggling with my money and I'm also pregnant and due in a few weeks which means more coming out of my acc. I can't afford this cycle of charges at all as I'm in financial hardship.

Is there a way to stop these fees and also claim back some of the charges I paid?
    Hi, welcome to LB.

You need to check the terms/conditions of your account carefully, then find out the name of the bank officer responsible for " student " accounts then make a Formal Complaint to that person.

nem

Comment

I can't remember who signed me up for my student account as it was years ago, I just know its a blonde female and thats it.

Comment

Originally posted by SupercoolJo View Post
        I can't remember who signed me up for my student account as it was years ago, I just know its a blonde female and thats it.
        Bank Officer as in a Director.
        nem

Comment

Have ou tried contacting the bank in the first instance and seeing if they are able/ willing to help ?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X