• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Care Home Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care Home Query

I am Next of Kin and Lasting Power of Attorney (Health & Finance) of a relative who resides in a Private Care Home specializing in Dementia. My relative is self funding and has a DOLs in place.

On Sunday morning I had a telephone call from the police informing me they had retrieved my relative from a busy road following several phone calls from concerned members of the public, he was over 4 miles from the care home.

I immediately called the home. Before I could share my information I was informed that he had had a restless night but was now showered, shaved and sat waiting for his breakfast. When I informed the carer that the relative was in fact on route with the police she immediately passed the phone to a member of the day staff without another word to me.

Later in the morning I spoke to the manager, she confirmed that one door was left un-alarmed. It would appear that the staff use this particular door to exit the building for their smoking breaks and someone neglected to reset the alarm when they returned. Call me cynical but I do find it strange that out of all the doors my relative selected the singular door which would not trigger an alarm. We have yet to establish his escape from the secured garden but the manager has confirmed that she will "be looking into what has happened"!

So I have three questions:

1. Is this a breach of any 'Safeguarding' policy?
    2. Should there be a full and proper investigation and would I be involved to offer my thoughts / concerns?
    3. Considering the night carer was obviously negligent in her duty and initially lied to me, would this be deemed as misconduct?

All thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Care Home Query

Hi User58 ...

I have had both my late wife and my late mother in care, in my mother's case it was EMI like your relative. There were obviously concerns of care at times but not leading to losing a resident like this! Clearly there has been a breach of 'the duty of care' here and as the residents appointee, you have the right to complain.

Their lack of care has resulted in your relative walking some four miles and that must have taken some time so the home has not even recorded the loss ... unbelievable!
    Plus they gave you false information that clearly was a fabrication. This is certainly a case that you should report to the Care Quality Commission as I doubt if such complaints would be isolated.

http://www.cqc.org.uk/

One thought I can add is that such places are often sadly understaffed or minimally staffed and possibly even poorly trained. To lose a resident out of the door is a major incident and indeed he could have been killed or maimed. How they can take it so lightly amazes me.

Useful info from the CQC web page :

Share your experience ....... Speak up and tell us by calling 03000 61 61 61, emailing enquiries@cqc.org.uk, or using our online form.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X