• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is there anything to worry about?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything to worry about?

Hello

I have been receiving telephone calls from various numbers all starting 0203 but when I answer, if I get to speak to anyone they claim to be some marketing survey or similar. Today I got one and said, please stop calling me.

A couple of hours later I got another one claiming to be from the telephone preference service asking if I had been getting nuisance calls. I said yes , they then went on to confirm my name and address and said that I paid my phone bill by direct debit.

The next question was something about my debit card and being expired but went on to say the expiry date was xx/xx ( a date in the future that was accurate)

By now I was getting worried so I said no and the caller just hung up

Should I be worried ?
    Should I cancel my debit card?

Would they then have gone on to ask me more details, maybe to get the three digit code off the back

I have started to fret and worry since the call especially as I am due to be paid next week

Any advice please
    Tags: None

Re: Is there anything to worry about?

Hi Berti
    [MENTION=49370]Kati[/MENTION] - does this need to be moved to http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...elephone-calls ?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Was this a mobile number that they called you on ? I ask because there has been some warnings recently about scams involving people taking over mobile numbers.

In any case I would contact your bank's security department and warn them what has been happening. If they had full details of the card, bar the security number, then this is worrying. You bank should issue you with a new card and new number. If you can check your bank statement on-line then do so.

Comment

We get at least 1 call from 0203 numbers every day including weekend, play games with this idiots waste their time and money.
        Just say something like " I'm sorry we are not on the phone here" and hang up.

nem

Comment

It was on my landline
          It worries me that they knew the actual expiry date of my debit card

Comment

Sensibly, Berti, if you feel your card has been compromised, which I doubt if it has, you should contact your bank, advise them of this and they will replace it by return. That's standard procedure.

AS for the 0203 calls, they are the subject of a lot of discussion on the internet, so you are far from alone. Best bet is simply to put the phone down without speaking.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/28892...umber-scammers

Comment

Originally posted by Berti View Post
              It was on my landline
              It worries me that they knew the actual expiry date of my debit card
              Do you have a record of the full number that called?
              IMO if so report it to your bank and request a new card.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X