• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council care allowance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council care allowance

Hello.
    My mother and father own thier home but have an equity release onit.
    My mother gets a small disability allowance and my father looks after her. They are eighty.
    My father is detereating but wants to continue caring for mum who is also becoming worse. They also get council tax relief.
    Recently the council visited to reassess and fitted banisters and a shower seat for mum. They are coming back today to reasses thier benefits. Mum told me that last time the lady said that thier house is worth a substantial amount and they would need to know all thier financials.
    She wants all thier bank details and equity release amounts.
    Haven't got a problem with this as they are asset rich but cash poor, however can they take the house or assume the equity release as income and refuse mum and dad further help.
    The equity release
    Money was given to my sister as she has had a few problems.
    Tags: None

Re: Council care allowance

Update. Meeting went well.
    No financials required.
    Previous lady frightened mum and dad, why do they do that!!

Comment

Originally posted by JR424 View Post
      Update. Meeting went well.
      No financials required.
      Previous lady frightened mum and dad, why do they do that!!
      Hi and welcome, I am pleased you got a good outcome.
      As to your question why did the Social Worker scare your mum and dad, I personally think they are robotic now in their attitude and actions and this can come across as scary to the elderly who have lots of pride and often do not want to ask for help of any kind.

As to the house this can not be assessed in the financial statement while mum and dad or even sometime in the future only one of them remains in it.
      If later one parent remains in the house and then has to go into care the equity release amount may be added back if the LA deem it as a deprivation of assets, but that is for them to prove.
      Hope they manage to get all the help they need
      Enaid x

Comment

Although no finance assessment was needed (for help with their care) did they get the benefit and entitlements check?
        This from ageUK gives info on all they can claim and are entitled to Benefits and Entitlement just in case anything has been missed.

Comment

I arrived after the lady, and in retrospect should have been more inquisitive. She was very nice and said she does this all the time.
          She was very adept at uncovering just how much my mum and dad have deteriated and rely on each other. she wrote pages of notes and presented completed forms to mum and dad. I did notice that she wanted them undated. And dad showed me a letter from the dwp saying someone would be assessing them, but it does not identify her. I think I am quite careful but realise how easy it would be for someone to take us in. I still trust my parents judgement and should realise they are easy targets now.
          I will make some more enquires.
          thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X