• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing repairs...................

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing repairs...................

Hi, I wonder if there is anyone who can assist me. .............Around a month ago, I got a phone call from one of my daughter's neighbours, to say that she was asking me to go round there as she was locked in her bathroom.
    As I hold a spare door key, I went round. When I got upstairs, yes, the bathroom door would not open, so seeing that my daughter had already been locked in the bathroom with my grandson for around an hour, decided to force the door with my shoulder, and in doing so this has split the door around the lock area.
    My daughter is a tenant of a housing association, who it would seem do not like spending money at the best of times.
    I reported to them the fact that that as the latch on the door was stuck in the closed position, I had to force the door to gain entry.
    The welcome pack that was given when my daughter moved in clearly states that they are responsible for the wear and tear of doors and fittings, but they see this as misuse/deliberate, and not wear and tear and say that the cost of a new door and lock is down to us, even though the lock/latch malfunctioned.
    In forcing entry myself, have I given them a get out of jail free card, because they are saying that we
    should have called them first, which is all very well asking my daughter to wait an indefinite amount of time in the bathroom, when my grandson, who is autistic,and is freaking out because he cannot get out.
    Is this a reasonable argument, when if I had called the fire service, or waited for someone from the housing association to call, this all would have ended with the same outcome.
    Any help would be appreciated.....................
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Housing repairs...................

If this is Sanctuary best to beat your head against a brick wall will get you the same result as trying for hours to get them to sort it out a Big headache

Comment

Re: Housing repairs...................

I would not see this as wear and tear either. From the description that you have provided, it's deliberate damage, albeit through necessity. Had the lock always been a problem and if so had it been reported to the HA?

I can't help wondering if the fire service would have done the same had you called them and what the HA's view of this would have been? Alternatively, would a locksmith have done the same, I suspect not, but the cost would have been expensive.

In any event. whatever you do end up paying, if you end up paying, you could try and argue that the lock was broken so you should not have to pay for it's repair or replacement, or the cost of a locksmith should be deducted from the bill because they would have incurred that cost anyway, and the emergent nature of the matter rendered the action necessary.

Presumably your tenancy agreement will give an indication of who should pay for what? Lastly, are any of the costs recoverable through your home insurance?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X