• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing benefit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Housing benefit

Not sure if you have read Jobseeker's Allowance it states on there unless you are working less than 16 hrs per week you are entitled, there is also a calculator on there to let you know what if anything you are entitled to.

Comment

My understanding of this situation is that you should be signing on as required to claim the Job Seekers Allowance and declaring all weekly income which they will deduct assuming it's from employment less than 16 hours. I also believe that any week worked over 16 hours will effectively stop JSA in payment which has to be reapplied for once work drops below 16 hours. To be honest, anyone on a zero hours contract should continue to seek more positive employment but it's accepted that can be hard for many.

Oh, and although your parents call it rent, it's still housekeeping! You simply cannot claim housing benefit while living with parents.

Comment

Yes I have read it all thanks; I think they just have not been informed it is a zero hour contract, and that one week from next I do not know I will be in. It's a nice firm to work for but they do not want to loose me either. I am just not sure how to word this appeal.

Comment

I think this needs to be started again tbh, the letter you had telling you your JSA has stopped what did it say?
          There are 2 JSAs contribution based paid up to 6 months this is based on NI contributions
          Income based which is means tested and your savings do not exceed £16,000 and have no or a low income.
          As said you are not entitled to housing benefit, but can not see why the JDA has stopped unless the 6 months is up and you apply for Income based or you are due to go on Universal Credit which will replace JSA at some point soon.

Comment

What's happened is I think because I was paid in arrears in March for February. Should I be telling them February was paid with March's

Letter says

From xxx the rates of some Social Security benefits may change - this is because of a change in earnings.

We cannot pay you JSA from

Because the law says you have as much or more money coming in

We have used tax years xxxx to xxxx

We may still credit you with NI contributions

Comment

Calculation

JSA - £73.10

They take away £39.81

difference is £33.49

Comment

Does this the remainder £33.49 mean they will that give to me?

Comment

Despite being deaf was able to get through on the phone. It would seem that the declaration I made for March's pay they thought it was eight weeks pay and not four weeks pay being paid in arrears for February pay in March and did not half it. They will re assess it and let me know. I will let you all know outcome - thank you to you all for help.
                  Last edited by lostfaith; 11th April 2016, 09:27:AM.

Comment

They've now rung me back and say it will continue under JSA but will be only on £17.00 per week from now on.

Comment

ok but it's £17 per week more so i call that a win .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X