• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Outstanding Loan on death of a partner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outstanding Loan on death of a partner

Originally posted by Openlaw15 View Post
    . Joint bank account means a bank account that is owned between the joint holders, so on death the survivor takes the lot..
    Not necessarily!!
    GENERALLY the application form makes it clear that the account is held on a joint tenancy basis, but there are a number of instances where HMRC have challenged this understanding.
    If the funds are paid into a joint account by one person only it could be deemed to be held on a resulting trust for the depositor and so included in their estate.

This does not normally affect spouses and those in civil partnerships.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Not necessarily!!
      GENERALLY the application form makes it clear that the account is held on a joint tenancy basis, but there are a number of instances where HMRC have challenged this understanding.
      If the funds are paid into a joint account by one person only it could be deemed to be held on a resulting trust for the depositor and so included in their estate.

This does not normally affect spouses and those in civil partnerships.
      the facts are they wre spouse so a joint bank account goes to the survivor

Comment

I was just pointing out you made a blanket statement that was incorrect.
        I also indicated that married couples and those in civil partnerships would not normally have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          I was just pointing out you made a blanket statement that was incorrect.
          I also indicated that married couples and those in civil partnerships would not normally have problems.
          Desm, i was basing my opinion on the facts, it or they was/ were not intended to be a general statement of the broad law of joint bank accounts. For instance I know the law has different effect when it is co-habitees with joint bank accounts for instance. I was rather relating the law as it stands to spouses with joint bank accounts where one dies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X