• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letting Agency / Landlord Overpaid Rent Dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting Agency / Landlord Overpaid Rent Dispute

Hi all,

My partner and were renting a house from a letting agency for approx. two years. The landlord contacted us directly 6 months ago to see if we were interested in buying the property, which we did. The sale completed on 31st March 2016.

When renting, our rent payments were made on the 8th of each month and so the rent payment we made on 8th March, covered rent until 8th April. As the sale completed on 31st March, there is approx 7-8 days of rent that we have over paid.

When we signed the contracts, this was all done through the letting agent, and payments have always been taken by the agent too. However when we contacted the letting agent to ask for a refund of the overpaid rent, they have told us that as they pay the money directly to the landlord, they do not hold any of the funds and therefor we would need to go through the landlord directly to have this money repaid...

Is this correct? We've never actually paid the landlord directly, money is taken from our account by 'Sequence Lettings'.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Letting Agency / Landlord Overpaid Rent Dispute

errr, Ultimatly, its your old LL, but contractually, its your old agent, all depends on when either party informed them. Most agents use a client accounts for rent payments, ( hence them saying they pay direct to your LL ) and would have paid the rent to the LL within the month.

Still, the agent should just ask the old LL for payment and repay it to you
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Well we both (us and the landlord) informed the agent approx 2 weeks prior to the sale going through as it was not until this point that we had a completion date - Does this change anything?

So even though they have asked me to go to the landlord direct - I should be within my contractual right to ask the agent to get this back from the landlord?

Thanks agian,

Comment

hi

- I should be within my contractual right to ask the agent to get this back from the landlord?
        yes 100% You, being the new owner, are due the rent from your tenant ( you again ) for the last week , agent probably just didn't catch it in time. And for everyone's book to add up correctly, it has to go from the old LL, to the agent, back to you
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Thanks Crazy - Is there anything specific I should mention in my letter to them to request this then?

Thanks again

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X