• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Oh Yuck!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Yuck!

Went shopping on Sunday, as we don't like our local store with four big green letters (both of us used to work there), we generally alternate between the next two localish stores. (not sure on the naming and shaming on here)

Anyway we went shopping on Sunday, and stocked up on milk, as you do. This morning my son commented that the milk didn't taste right, I had a coffee and thought that maybe it was a bit creamier tasting than normal, but then it is supposed to be the stuff from local farms.

Got the bottle out of the firdge and looked at it....use by 16 June

WTF, it was a day out of date when we bought it!

Needless to say all the milk has been tipped down the sink, haven't bothered phoning the store as I know from working there that they don't give a damn, so I went straight onto Trading Standards, they are very interested, just waiting for an investigator to get back to me know.

Check the dates on stuff when you pick it up kids! I do know what the policy is as the big green letter store, they have to move the stuff out the day before the use by date, so anything dated 21st has to go by mindight on the 20th.

There was a big whistleblower programme on shops selling out of date products a little while ago, so I'm sure TS will be hot on that!

Not nice though, and I hope TS hit them with a big fine, because you can bet it wasn't just you that got out of date milk.

Matt

Comment

Another big offender for not rotating their stock is our local S........d, (Season between spring and autumn, and the place where cows graze). Also a massive annoyance on my part, letting workers from local businesses use their car park all day, so us poor mere shoppers have to park elsewhere. Perhaps a terse letter to the manager might be in order, with of course to obligatory threat to contact Trading Standards.
      I'm going to T...o tonight anyway.

sapphire

Comment

Well I can't afford the blue stripy bag one, unless I have my Mother in Law and her staff discount card in tow!

Comment

Let me add a few to this list.

firstly lets start with the trip home from the airport last week. We knew the cupboards would be bare as our kids (in their 20s) wouldn't buy anything. So we pulled in to T***o and did a shop. When we got home I put everything away. Lunch time arrived I made the meal, I open a pack of indate naan breads, they were covered in blue furry mould.
          Previously from same store I was making a cake cracked an egg into the mixture, only to firstly be hit with the grizzley sight of a half formed chick in the bowl, followed by the smell.
          In the past I have open a tin of tomatos to find a catterpillar.
          A tin of corned beef to find a hugh cows tooth (well I didn't find it my daughter did as she bit into her sandwich, honestly)
          Last one was from a different store with a green four letter sign beginning with A. I open a see through pack of minced beef and as I broke it up to fry it a dead blue bottle fly was in the middle.
          WTF is up with the hygiene in these big stores. They are so profit driven us customers will have to die before they really bother too clean up their act.

I hope this does not put you off your food, it might make you check it more thoroughly though.

Best wishes,
          Hod..Liam...
          Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

My parents and I went through a stage of getting things in our meals in a certain watering hole near us, the name of the brewery sounds like skewers bear...

Anway, Dad to start with found part of the sole of a trainer in the middle of his steak and kidney pie... Guess what we were given....YES VOUCHERS! so we went back to spend our vouchers... and guess what... Mum finds part of a human tooth inc filling in her beef and ale pie.... Guess what we got.... YES VOUCHERS! needless to say, I think they're in the bottom of my mums handbag still....

I thought it was actually against the law to sell things past their useby date.... I know out of date and useby are completely different things... I hope you saved the carton and the receipt HOD!

xxx
            Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
            For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
            And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Comment

I ocasionally feed the cats tinned Tuna. A couple of years ago I fed some of the cats, and saved a bit of Tuna in the tin, for the cat that was not there at the time. I put a airtight lid on tin, and left it for when missing cat returned.
              Forgot!
              About a week later, (mid summer) I came across said tin in the garden, removed lid (to wash), and found a group of approx 10 Meal worms, fully grown, in tin (must have liked the hot weather!).
              The only way to get in the tin, was through the stomach of the poor Tuna!
              Nat West 1 £9k settled AQ stage.
              Nat West 2 £126 settled LBA
              HSBC practice run £1330.00 settled on the Court doorstep....almost.

Comment

It is actually a criminal offence to sell products that have passed their USE BY date.

And yes I have the bottles and the receipt, though I have tipped the milk away.

Comment

Many moons ago, I use to go shopping with my sister on a Saturday afternoon. Every month (hormones), she'd go round the supermarket, poking the freezer stuff, looking for anything above the freezer line that had started to defrost. This was just so she could fight with the Manager!
                  Nat West 1 £9k settled AQ stage.
                  Nat West 2 £126 settled LBA
                  HSBC practice run £1330.00 settled on the Court doorstep....almost.

Comment

Originally posted by peed 'orf View Post
                    Many moons ago, I use to go shopping with my sister on a Saturday afternoon. Every month (hormones), she'd go round the supermarket, poking the freezer stuff, looking for anything above the freezer line that had started to defrost. This was just so she could fight with the Manager!
                    PMSL
                    When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.

Paulo Coelho

Comment

F**k this I am going to live of the land.

Comment

OOOOOO One more to add to my list!

I went to a resturant and ordered homemade steak and kidney pie, I ate into the pie and about halfway through as I cut across the pie, there was an odd sound from the knife. I used the knife and fork to open the pie up to find a 7" length of swarf. a piece of metal very much like a spring. I actually asked for a bag and took the offending object to the environmental health dept, at the city council. Who the same day closed the resturant down for six weeks. I never went back there again.

Best wishes,
                        Hod..Liam...
                        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

Similar vein to all the above...

I went to a well known quick food restaurant (dogs tails do it, a , ending in mama)
                          and ordered a vegan dish ( i am veggie) and then discovered prawns in it.

The manager just shrugged and said at least its not meat AND still tried to charge me for the meal.

2 horrible point about this firstly they should not advertise vegan food then make it with prawns and prepare it on the same boards as meat. Secondly what if I was allergic to prawn.. they could have killed me!
                          When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.

Paulo Coelho

Comment

Happy, you must be one of the unluckiest people in existence. I've been dreading a half formed chick since the day I found a string of miniature organs floating in my cake mix.

Comment

what sort of organs?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X