• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mercers DN question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercers DN question

Hi
    i.e. been reading around the site to find out if the Mercer DN that was sent to me in 2012 is valid

mine states the following in the first paragraph

'............................. Barclaycard has therefore passed your debt to us (Mercers Debt Collections Ltd) to collect on its behalf. Mercer Debt Collection Ltd is a separate company within the Barclays group'

the address on the DN is
    Mercers Debt Collection Ltd, PO Box 55, Liverpool L32 8XX

contact No 0844 822 2003.

i didn't keep the envelope so didn't record date of receipt/postage. If the details on the letter are to be trusted the 14 day rule seems Ok

So although Mercers are not describing themselves as 'agents' does this still put the DN into dispute?

are any of the Mercers DN issued in connection with Barclaycard valid?
    Tags: None

Re: Mercers DN question

IMHO

AfaIk, only the creditor or owner can issue a valid DN.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1561/made
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond Charity.

So the DN should def have been on Barclaycard headed paper from them, at their address and not that of Mercers (even though Mercers are part of the Barclays group, or were)

Its the fact that Mercers are/were part of the BC group that wasn't clear about

Comment

Originally posted by Brainmelt View Post
        Thanks for taking the time to respond Charity.

So the DN should def have been on Barclaycard headed paper from them, at their address and not that of Mercers (even though Mercers are part of the Barclays group, or were)

Its the fact that Mercers are/were part of the BC group that wasn't clear about
        Mercers were a separate legal entity within Barclays group but they were not the creditor .

nem

Comment

Excellent news Nem:-)
          info very gratefully received.

Comment

Technically, as already pointed out, it's bogroll.

Judges sometimes do strange things though.

M1

Comment

Hi M1
              but could you appeal on 'point of law' grounds?

'DN defective as not issued by owner/creditor of the debt'

Comment

Of course but it's a right pita and expensive.

M1

Comment

Brainmelt
                  I'm at litigation stage with BC and soon to file at court for default removal.
                  The central point is that the whole amount of the default was penalty charges and so the Information Commissioner's guidance should have been followed.
                  In addition to that, I have challenged the fact that Mercers sent the DN.

See the last few posts here
                  http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...ycard%29/page3

Comment

Comment

This is what their solicitors wrote about Mercers in their response to my Letter Before Action:

"Following the account closure, the debt was transferred to Mercers Debt Collection (Mercers), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Bank.
                      >
                      >
                      Further, the Default Notice sent to you by Mercers was valid as at the time it was sent, Mercers was a non-trading company within the Barclays group and therefore able to issue the Default Notice on the Bank's behalf."

They seem to have gone to extraordinary lengths to try to block my claim, so I'm guessing that they don't want it to become a test case that others will follow.

Comment

"Following the account closure, the debt was transferred to Mercers Debt Collection (Mercers), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Bank. >
                        >
                        Further, the Default Notice sent to you by Mercers was valid as at the time it was sent, Mercers was a non-trading company within the Barclays group and therefore able to issue the Default Notice on the Bank's behalf."
                        And people say herbal tea is good for you ? Hmmm...............

M1

Comment

Kafka
                          Now that's really interesting. will be keeping an eye out for your future posts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X