• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Extending lease on flat (own share of freehold)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extending lease on flat (own share of freehold)

Originally posted by outlawlgo View Post
    I hope you're right about the windows, but I read the news letter to mean that the windows are paid for by the flat owner:
    If the Freeholder is a limited company (most likely) then you would be a shareholder. This means you should have been issued with a share certificate at the time. Although AGMs are no longer compulsory, you should be invited to any that do take place.

Decisions made by the Freeholder/Company cannot override the terms of your lease. If the Freeholder fancies putting a helipad on the roof, and there's no provision in the lease for this, then they can't do it and expect the lessees to pay for it.

The repair and maintenance of the property is a separate legal issue and that involves each and every lessee regardless of whether they have bought a share of the Freehold or not.

If the expenditure for any works will cost more than £250 to any lessee then there has to be a formal legal consultation under Section 20 of The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (amended). That's when you and the other lessees will be able to voice your objections (if you have any) following receipt of the (1st) Notice of Intention. The Freeholder then has a duty to address your concerns and respond to them in the (2nd) Notice of Estimates.

If the s.20 consultation is not carried out lawfully then you will not be obliged to pay more than £250 towards the works.

It's all explained here on the Government funded LEASE website > http://www.lease-advice.org/advice-g...-their-agents/

Di x
    Last edited by Diana M; 2nd July 2016, 18:51:PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Re: Extending lease on flat (own share of freehold)

Thanks for all the helpful information....I appreciate it. This has assisted my understanding of the current issue and made my mind up that it's probably wise to pay for the lease extension now, or at least sooner rather than later. I remember receiving a share certificate which must have been in 1997 when the company (PLC) was formed. I know this now thanks to the Companies House search I just made which incidentally has relevant information, accounts, directors etc., that I had no idea you could access online.

Thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X