• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Confused after self assesment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused after self assesment

Hi Would anyone be able to help my OH has done SA and ended up with a payment on account bill for nearly 9k is this right he is not self employed and he pays his tax through paye written to the tax office 3 times but not had a reply hope someone can help
    Tags: None

Re: Confused after self assesment

Hi,
    Does your OH have private pensions or any investment income ?
    May also be an idea to check Tax codes.

Comment

Thanks enaid for your reply no pension no investments just an employee earning 45k a year he did change jobs in 2014/2015 which included changing from a company car to company van it worked out a shortfall of tax but we are querying that one has they constantly changed his tax codes but this seems to be a seperate issue read up a bit about tax on account but it's just complicated the issue so no idea what to do

Comment

I wouldn't be able to comment on tax for company vehicles that's a minefield imo.
        Tax on account is a prepayment of your tax bill so I presume this is for tax year 2015/16, they are asking for 9k.
        Looks like they are still assuming he has a company vehicle, but that, still a large amount.
        Did you check his tax code off his payslips ?
        Asking [MENTION=26290]mariefab[/MENTION] to take a look for you, remeber it is weekend she may not be online today

Comment

Thanks enaid yes it's very complicated I just thought self employed people paid tax on account

Comment

Originally posted by winner12 View Post
            Thanks enaid yes it's very complicated I just thought self employed people paid tax on account
            Me too has he ever been self employed?

The pas I employ used to work for an agency and would fill in a SA for their mileage and fuel costs which would only affect their tax code as you said above, it changes all the time and is so stupid imo. You also have to keep records for this.

A TAX calculator tells you what your OH should be paying through paye it tells you at the top this figure may differ.

Comment

No never that's why I think it's a mistake but we have had no reply to any letters just demand for payment he even got his new tax code for this April so not sure what's going on

Comment

If you click on any of the categories in the list below you'll get the relevant helpline number.
                My own experience has been that the people manning these helplines are very well informed.

https://www.gov.uk/contact-hmrc

Comment

Thanks but we have tried that twice already on the phone for ages and still not got through that's why he put it all in writing

Comment

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. They somehow decided I was a large sum behind with tax and it turned out that some idiot had recalculated and put my government old age pension of £130 pw in at about £100,000 a year (I wish!) Took a couple of months to sort out but got there in the end.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X