• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbors wall not maintained and causing water ingress to my house / windows & tress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors wall not maintained and causing water ingress to my house / windows & tress

Hi,

My neighbors (whom have a harassment warning against them) wall has 2 bricks missing where it ties into my house. (my wall is at 90 degrees to neighbors wall).

I have only just found this out when eventually we were given access to their land (after a legal battle to access neighboring land) to carry out some maintenance to my windows.
    These missing bricks it seems is the cause of water ingress into my house (my internal wall is wet through) The builder told neighbor about it and that it will also be effecting their side too.

Do i tell my insurance about this / are neighbors liable?...they said they will get it sorted but i know they wont...how long to i wait?

On another matter. My window looks out over my neighbors back garden. My lovely neighbor has now put 4-5ft high potted conifers 12 inches away and right across my window (the height of conifers against height of my window is approx 70% of the window) and this is now blocking out a considerable amount of light and could be a cause of damp going forward....where do i stand with this one? This surely is classed as unreasonable and UN-neighborly behavior against their harassment warning?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Neighbors wall not maintained and causing water ingress to my house / windows & t

Hi,

can anyone help ?

Thanks.

Comment

Re: Neighbors wall not maintained and causing water ingress to my house / windows & t

Hi stressederic ...

AS far as the missing brick scenario goes, if this is the sole cause of water ingress ( and as you say it is affecting their own property ), I would be very tempted to bite the bullet and offer to pay for the brickwork to be made good, assuming it is minimal work. I did this myself before I sold my last property as my neighbours had removed a dividing fence to lay a blocked path. I offered 50% to replace the fence and they agreed but it looked so good that it made my own house that more sellable.

I suspect that your neighbours are indeed liable for any water damage caused by their own lack of maintenance but taking that forward may be impossible, considering the feud like conditions that appear to exist between you.

As for the conifer problem, I understand that can be a complex problem and even with legal advice may be difficult to resolve. Have all forms of reasonable communication between you and the neighbours ceased?

Comment

I cant say it is the sole cause...but if its not the sole cause it will be contributing to the problem.

We dont have any communications directly between us due to a harassment warning being issued to them...so its all being done through either solicitor or the police.
        I have been trying to sort mediation, but neighbor not been forthcoming. However, they have agreed now.
        Which i imagine is their solicitor advising them to do it as they are looking to take me to court for some land they 'say' they mis-sold me as part of the me purchasing this house. Not sure how they can take me to court...id guess its more the architect that they take to court. The land is now mine, surely they cant just 'get' it back by taking me to court.???...any help on this will also be gratefully received!

if they they dont agree to mediation it wont look good on them in court...this is my understanding.

I guess i'll just have to suck it up with regards to the conifers. Just shows how petty and bad minded some people are.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X