• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Compass debt company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Compass debt company

Both these organisations have failed you, ask these government bodies why nothing was done when I provided damning concrete evidence against Compass. Original email removed but I will provide to any Police investigation.

Reported to OFT that they were criminals. reply
    Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the Act)
    Complaint Against: R M R Financial Services trading as Compass Debt Counsellors, Mr Robert Solloway trading as Compass Debt Counsellors
    Licence No: 637199, 612961

Thank you for your email received on 26 August 2011. I sincerely apologise for the delay in responding.

I can confirm that 2 Consumer Credit Licences at the postcode you mention have the trading name ‘Compass Debt Counsellors’. Under the Consumer Credit Act, holders of consumer credit licences must be fit and competent to do so and the OFT has a duty to monitor the fitness and conduct of all traders who hold such a licence.

We have therefore noted the details of your email, and we will consider this alongside any other complaints we have received with a view to any consumer credit licensing or other action we may decide to take. If we do take any action against these traders we may need to contact you again in the future. Unfortunately, we cannot disclose any details about any action we may take, due to legal restrictions on the OFT relating to disclosure of information.

Thank you again for writing to us and bringing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Enquiries and Reporting Centre
    Office of Fair Trading

Then to FCA. Reply

Our Ref:

Many thanks for your email and I apologise for the delay in replying.

The information you have supplied will be passed to the relevant area of the FCA for review and action as appropriate.

The FCA will do all it can to protect the identity of whistleblowers but can give no ultimate assurance that legal processes will not require revelation. In such rare circumstances your views would be sought before such action was undertaken.

The Financial Services and Markets Act places restrictions on our ability to provide you with significant feedback including what action the FCA may, or may not, decide to undertake.

Should you require further advice or guidance concerning your position as a 'Whistleblower' we suggest that you visit the Public Concern at Work website at www.pcaw.org.uk. This organisation can also be contacted on 02074046609.

Additional information and guidance on the FCA whistleblowing procedures can be found atwww.fca.org.uk/site-info/contact/whistleblowing or the whistleblowing desk can be contacted on 02070669200.

Yours sincerely

XXXXXXXXXX

Associate – Whistleblowing Team
    Financial Crime and Intelligence Department / Enforcement and Financial Crime Division
    Financial Conduct Authority
    25 The North Colonnade, London E14 5HS
    Direct Line: +44 (0) 20 7066 9200
    Email: whistle@fca.org.uk

Please note that telephone calls may be recorded.

This email (and any attachments) has been classified as FCA: restricted - Enforcement and may be subject to legal professional privilege

Subject: Fwd: Debt Management Company Stealing From Clients

I have just read that the FCA will be responsible for policing debt management company's from the 1st of April. With this in mind may I bring the following to your attention. This is a copy of an email I sent to the OFT as I discovered a multi million pound fraud only to be told by the OFT that they were not responsible for debt management company's. To this date new customers are still paying into Compass as it operates like a pyramid sales organisation. If they do not attract new customers through unsolicited calls the whole scheme will collapse and clients will lose everything they have paid in.

Please put a stop to this.

Regards,

XXXXXXXX

This communication and any attachments contains information which is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. It is for intended recipients only. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute, publish, rely on or otherwise use it without our consent. Some of our communications may contain confidential information which it could be a criminal offence for you to disclose or use without authority. If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster@fca.org.uk immediately and delete the email from your computer.

The FCA reserves the right to monitor all email communications for compliance with legal, regulatory and professional standards.

This email is not intended to nor should it be taken to create any legal relations or contractual relationships. This email has originated from

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
    25 The North Colonnade,
    Canary Wharf,
    London
    E14 5HS
    United Kingdom

Registered as a Limited Company in England and Wales No.1920623.
    Registered Office as above

Switchboard: 020 7066 1000
    Web Site: http://www.fca.org.uk
    Last edited by Compass; 19th September 2016, 23:09:PM. Reason: Removed names

Comment

Tune in to BBC Rip Off Britain Friday 7 October.

Julia Somerville, Gloria Hunniford and Angela Rippon explore stories where viewers feel let down by companies claiming to be the experts - discovering how a business supposed to help people manage their debts left them owing more than they had in the first place.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yb8bn

Comment

I just wanted to touch base with this forum again after a few months off.

We now have our own DMP sorted and being paid to all but two of our creditors, those two are just not answering letters!! Amongst some good news there have been battles with a couple of these companies. Notably a three hour phone call with Northern Rock and a letter exchange with Cabot that is staggering in its stupidity.

However, it still annoys the hell out of me that we had thousands stolen and there is precious little we can do about it. Action Fraud are taking no action and the police are just not interested.

Anyway, I should have sorted my own plan out years ago.

Good Luck to everyone who was with Compass. Shame on all those who worked there and knew our money was being siphoned off.

Comment

Well done for sorting your own DMP.

Comment

Watching Rip Off Britain.....

Comment

Now available on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yb8bn

The Compass piece starts at about 13 minutes in.

Comment

I am wondering the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by sal77 View Post
                Hi, just wondering if any update on when the next meeting is with the administrator. Fingers crossed for everyone that we will have some good news.
                I am wondering the same

Comment

Hi; I was just wondering if a meeting was held or if anyone has heard anything. Was hoping to of heard something by now. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sal77 View Post
                    Hi; I was just wondering if a meeting was held or if anyone has heard anything. Was hoping to of heard something by now. Thanks
                    Have you not heard from the Administrators ?

They issued a report last week, not sure why we haven't put it on here, unless it's in another thread - I'll go get it xxx

(Sorry it isn't very good news !)
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Here we are. Summary - there's £24k in the bank for creditors - but the creditors are owed £4 million - and there's 760+ of them. So works out about £35 each - and the administrator doesn't think it's worth the cost of distribution.

There are other things going on in the background though but it's going to be a long slog and no one should hold out much hope of getting any of their money back - then if something does happen.
                      Attached Files
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Here we are. Summary - there's £24k in the bank for creditors - but the creditors are owed £4 million - and there's 760+ of them. So works out about £35 each - and the administrator doesn't think it's worth the cost of distribution.

There are other things going on in the background though but it's going to be a long slog and no one should hold out much hope of getting any of their money back - then if something does happen.
                        Whilst an equal share might be £35 - I estimated a much lower figure of £16 as there is likely to be more than 1500 claimants (not just the Compass clients) but I emphasise that these are my personal estimates - there are some major creditors who would take a much larger share than us "clients". It takes a long time to assess each client's claim and then the cost of distributing any money DEFINITELY far outweighs the value of any refund..............at present.

Other recovery efforts are being made but the process is both timely and costly and more importantly, highly confidential. There is some hope, but not much! And nothing is going to happen in the short term - it could take years like the similar Bournes case

I would plead with everyone to sit tight and not email or phone AABRS for general inquiries unless you have something important to report - most people are asking the same type of questions most of which, as you can imagine, are simply unanswerable, and it only costs us all money and eats into what little money there is available. AABRS are naturally paid for their time and Liquidators' time is not cheap even for the admin staff.

The members' Liquidation Committee met with AABRS in October but it was largely to go through the Interim Report and for us to learn about the Liquidator's activity in trying to resolve matters - remember that the Liquidator is independent of both the creditors and Compass, and AABRS is there to wind up the company and extract as much money as is possible for the creditors. They have to go through all the company's financial dealings, and tax affairs and look at the directors' assets and eventually calculate each creditors claim accuracy and value. For some inexplicable reason, the Cloud company that held most of the Compass files, deleted them when Compass allegedly failed to pay their monthly fees - understandable perhaps but clearly very unhelpful. The loss of these documents is making matters extremely difficult.

There is nothing over and above what is in the Interim Report the committee members can add.

The first full report is due at one year - perhaps March/April 2017. The latest report is an interim report.
                        It's certainly not good news but I doubt any of us really thought we would get our money back. We just want to see some form of justice.

Due to new financial regulations, companies can no longer operate as Compass did and have to meet very strict criteria. The previous supervision of Debt Management Companies left a lot to be desired.

Wingco

Comment

With what you are saying Wingo, and obviously we don't know what is being said behind the scenes. Would there be no case for "fraud" being brought against the directors in the long distance future?.After the final decision of AABRS ( how ever long it takes) do you think they would look in to this possibility as part of their investigation or would it be down to individuals like myself and many others to make a case and submit it to the police/cpr etc?
                          I know that most of us accept that we will never see the money that they stole from us with their deceit and lies but for myself and I presume many others I would like to see some form of justice and, not for them to walk away from this without going through what many of us have had to deal with in the last 10 months.

Tangotommy

Comment

The Liquidator is obliged by Law to report any fraudulent activity. It is most certainly part of the Liquidator's duties.
                            It would interfere with the investigations if individuals were to attempt to take matters in to their own hands. Fraud is the one of the hardest crimes to prove. If you have cast iron proof of fraud, then you should write to the Liquidator with your evidence.
                            We all know what we thought we were promised but it is far harder to prove it. That said, the Liquidator has been sent various client contracts and monthly statements. If your monthly statements include a "client's pot" of money AND say what it is going to be used for, then you need to forward it to the Liquidator. I have monthly statements but no "client's" pot. I have seen statements that show a separate figure to the main outgoing payments but it doesn't give a specific statement as to what the sum of money was going to be used for. We all believed it was eventually going to build up over time to be used to make full and final offers to our creditors.
                            Let me know what you have. But verbal un-witnessed comments or phone calls are most unlikely to be sufficient to prove a fraud. Perhaps pure weight of numbers of clients all believing the same thing could be enough, but we are not at that stage yet.
                            Best
                            Wingco
                            Last edited by Wingco; 19th October 2016, 15:11:PM. Reason: word missing

Comment

Whilst an equal share might be £35 - I estimated a much lower figure of £16 as there is likely to be more than 1500 claimants (not just the Compass clients) but I emphasise that these are my personal estimates - there are some major creditors who would take a much larger share than us "clients"
                              Not that it'll make much difference but wasn't the £24k 'pot' money that was in the 'pot' bank account? If so it shouldn't be a company asset distributable creditors, rather it is client monies.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                                Not that it'll make much difference but wasn't the £24k 'pot' money that was in the 'pot' bank account? If so it shouldn't be a company asset distributable creditors, rather it is client monies.
                                Correct if the account was clearly labelled in that way "For the use of Compass Clients'full and final settlements only" - but it won't, as you say, make any difference. With well in excess of 700 potential "clients, possibly 1500,' the amount is far too small to distribute; the cost of calculating individual amounts and then distributing those amounts is likely to be well in excess of £24 per client, if indeed it is that much.
                                At this stage, it is far more worthwhile to wait and see what other money can be "found' in order to make it worthwhile to distribute..
                                The simple principle applies, that where professional staff command fairly high fees for their work, it makes no sense to spend time and money in order to distribute what's left - each claim would cost considerably more than £24 to resolve.
                                As mentioned in the Interim Report, there is other money that may be realised to the benefit of all creditors.
                                Wingco

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X