• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Compass debt company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Compass debt company

So haven't posted on here in a long while. Set up our own management plan using the templates people kindly posted on here (thank you everyone!) everything seems to have been going well, paying creditors directly. Today we received a letter from TSB saying we had a £10,000 debt that hasn't been paid since 2009. Firstly how on earth can it take so long for a company to find you (we've only moved once) and every other creditor seems to find us!!! Also do I add this to my never ending list!!! Thought we where doing well & now another set back 😢

Comment

Originally posted by Raspingolive View Post
      So haven't posted on here in a long while. Set up our own management plan using the templates people kindly posted on here (thank you everyone!) everything seems to have been going well, paying creditors directly. Today we received a letter from TSB saying we had a £10,000 debt that hasn't been paid since 2009. Firstly how on earth can it take so long for a company to find you (we've only moved once) and every other creditor seems to find us!!! Also do I add this to my never ending list!!! Thought we where doing well & now another set back 
      Hi, welcome back,

What is the TSB debt, current account/overdraft, loan/ secured loan/ credit card?

Does this alleged debt appear on your credit reference file? You can check Noddle and or Clear Score Free online.

After 7 years this debt may be statute barred but we need to be sure on last payment/default date.
      TSB be may be phishing to see if you bite.

nem

Comment

Hi

I'm not very internet savvy!!!! I've logged into my noddle account, and it doesn't show up in fact none of my debts do??? I signed up with compass in March 2006 and paid £300 a month every month till we found out in March 2016 they had gone bust!!!! All of my debts I'm paying now are from pre 2006, why do these not show up either on my credit report??? I'm very confused by all of this!!! Any help would be grately appreciated.
        Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

The debt is for a credit card we think although when my husband phoned today they seemed unsure. The last payment was made in January 2009, and no contact has been made until today??

Comment

If you started a DMP in 2006 and your debts had defaulted then they would all have fallen off your credit file in 2012.

Did you get a copy of your file from the compass liquidators? The TSB debt could be statute barred but only if there has been no acknowledgement of the debt. Between 2009 and 2015 ( ie 6 years).

I think I'd write to them and inform them you consider the debt to be statute barred ( s.5 Limitation Act 1980 ) and put the onus of proving it isn't on to them. Odd that it is still with TSB and not been sold on to a DCA. Presumably they got in touch with your after you wrote to all your creditors after the failure of compass?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I've just googled the number & I think it's a debt collection company Blair, Oliver & Scott?? and not TSB as they're making out??? I'm thinking of just ignoring this completely & filing this in the bin!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't actually remember getting a file from the liquidators I'll check when I'm home but as far as I remember we only got the letter stating they'd gone into liquidation??
            Thank you again though for your help everyone 😊

Comment

Sorry to be such a pain but I wondered if anyone could answer another question I have.
              I was in my debt plan for so long that last year when myself & my husband became aware that compass had gone into liquidation, like everyone else we went into a panic!!! With the help of all of you kind people we did our own debt management plan & I now pay creditors what we can afford. I'm now wondering should I have sent a letter to all creditors asking for original agreements??? Our original debts have been sold on & on in some cases & im taking their word for what we owe??? Your probably thinking this is very foolish!!! Step change weren't very helpful. Apart from the above TSB letter that came out of the blue today for the last 6-8 months we have paid monthly cabot, Robinson way, cap quest etc. Any advice as always is very much appreciated 😊

Comment

Can you do a pic of the letter? ( take off personal details before posting it up)
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

[QUOTE=Amethyst;702172]Can you do a pic of the letter? ( take off personal details before posting it up)[/

Comment

Cant see the pic raspingolive sorry x

Comment

Originally posted by Raspingolive View Post
                      Sorry to be such a pain but I wondered if anyone could answer another question I have.
                      I was in my debt plan for so long that last year when myself & my husband became aware that compass had gone into liquidation, like everyone else we went into a panic!!! With the help of all of you kind people we did our own debt management plan & I now pay creditors what we can afford. I'm now wondering should I have sent a letter to all creditors asking for original agreements??? Our original debts have been sold on & on in some cases & im taking their word for what we owe??? Your probably thinking this is very foolish!!! Step change weren't very helpful. Apart from the above TSB letter that came out of the blue today for the last 6-8 months we have paid monthly cabot, Robinson way, cap quest etc. Any advice as always is very much appreciated 😊
                      Sorry Olive, I missed this yesterday, must have crossed posts.

Now you have got over the initial panic and got your debts under control, yes I think it would be a good idea to start working through them checking their validity, how much is owed and so on.

You could write to them all asking for copies of the original agreements under the Consumer Credit Act, and also asking for details of the account, transactions made, and so on - you can say it is to check what happened under the DMP managed by Compass for now. If any refuse more detailed breakdowns of the amounts owed you could send subject access requests - but as these cost £10 each it's worth asking them for breakdowns first. Information gathering exercise for now, then you can consider what to deal with and how.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

• Re: Compass debt company - FFS

Hi Rasping Olive - love the name!
                        I was in exactly the same boat following compass' "demise". I sent simple CCA letters (templates on here), and got a mixed bag of responses - CCAs cost £1 postal order. Well worth it. 3-4 of my creditors were unable to prove my debts and put my accounts "on hold". I have continued to pay them but I'm thinking that puts me in a better position for Full and Final Settlements (FFS) in the future. I've already had FFS offers from Lowells and Capital One.
                        I found that those creditors that haven't sold my debts on (except Capital One) were the most inflexible and seem not to want to offer FFS. Recently 3 of those have now sold my debts to Lowells which should make FFS easier in the future; these third (or fourth) party companies buy our debts very cheaply (allegedly at 10% to 30%) and therefore are more likely to accept low FFS payments. My advice is to keep paying and be patient. It's so much better than what Stepchange offered me - I understand most people have no problem with Stepchange but I must have got the miserable Stepchange advisor!
                        Wingco
                        Last edited by Wingco; 18th January 2017, 20:08:PM. Reason: Couldn'rt spell "buy"

Comment

Update http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...691#post729691
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just for those not in the Facebook Group there is a meeting with Derby North MP Chris Williamson on Sunday (in Derby) if any ex-Compass peeps want to come along. It's discussing a potential public inquiry.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank you. Could you post a link to the Facebook group please?

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/chriswillia...0171091889523/ is a video of Chris earlier in the week
                                Chris Williamson MP

6 hrs ·

Thank you to everyone who donated to help kick-start a campaign against rogue debt management companies. We reached our target in just three days! This money will pay for the victims of Compass to attend meetings together to start the campaign.
                                I asked a question in the House yesterday on this issue. Our campaign will be seeking justice for the victims of Compass as well as fighting to ensure legislation is put in place that prevents private companies exploiting those who's only crime is to suffer the issues of poverty that come with our broken society.

This is the FB group - it's set to private so you have to join - Compass Debt Counsellors Liquidation https://www.facebook.com/groups/1583378958574247/
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X