• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Research Briefings – Can private landlords refuse to let to Housing Benefit claimants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research Briefings – Can private landlords refuse to let to Housing Benefit claimants

There is some evidence to suggest that private landlords are reluctant to let to prospective tenants in receipt of Housing Benefit. This note explains the reasons for that reluctance and why it is not unlawful. It is not unusual for private landlords to advertise properties to let stating that they…
    Read More -> Research Briefings – Can private landlords refuse to let to Housing Benefit claimants?

More...
    Tags: None

Re: Research Briefings – Can private landlords refuse to let to Housing Benefit claim

Hi!
    Recently relocated to London. I want to buy a single-family house and my budget is $3000. Awaiting for your suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.

Comment

Re: Research Briefings – Can private landlords refuse to let to Housing Benefit claim

$3000.00 wont even be enough for a deposit on a property!

nem

Comment

Ahhhhgggg,

Understanding the perils of acsepting payment direct from the council ( HB )

The downside

1. The TT doesnt get used to paying there rent each week/month hence, if the eligibility to stops, arrears start
        2. The LA can claim back money for many months from teh LL, when its no fault of the LL and hard to account for
        3. Jobsworrths in other Depts of the councils like to fill there time, and tend to target LLs who acsept HB more than others.

The Upside

10, Lots of TTs reciving some HB are familys. Familys are the best tenants by a country mile
        11. With some people, your really helping them along, and you realise that. ( the young, by not taking advantage of them )
        12. Longer term tenancys in general, more notice when moving.

Moving forward

Universal Credit.

We are testing it around here ( poor people being forced to play survival of the fittest ) lol

Joking aside, and apart from some difficultys in the first 8 weeks, it works well, in all the points i raise above, especialy in relation to them feeling responcable to pay the rent. When UC works all over the uk,, a LL will not know if a TT is reciving HB in most curcs. For single people under 25, it seem to be working well.

lol, good job you didnt ask this on a rent weekend , lol answer might have been BURN THEM ALL
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

There are so many problems with HB
          One that CC did not mention is the council's sudden suspension of HB for no apparent reason or the extraordinarily long time it can take to sort out HB payments because of a lack of training by employees. I have been a victim of both on more than one occasion.

HB is also paid in arrears and how many people on HB have a months rent to pay up in advance - very few I fear

Of course the real problem is the complete lack of social housing which dates back to the 1980's but has continued with successive governments. This lack means there is room in the private sector for expansion but as we all know, there are lots of rogue landlords although there are also lots of very decent Landlords.

I was lucky in that I had been a tenant for 8 years before I applied for HB so my LL was happy as long as the rent came in.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X