• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Transfer to a Debt Agency - Mortgage Age Discrimination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debt Transfer to a Debt Agency - Mortgage Age Discrimination

Sounds like it.

I'm still a bit nonplussed that any law firm is still into this dubious "we can write off you debts legally for an upfront fee" business.

Defending and taking cases on the litigation side, such as PT et al, but this???? You'd think any law firm of even mediocre reputation would have learnt to not touch this with a barge pole.

Comment

See attached
      Attached Files

Comment

A good well done Where did that come from? ( s'ok answered in chatbox xxx )
        Last edited by Amethyst; 10th March 2016, 18:01:PM.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Just for ref, as we still not entirely sure what they are doing, so just checking out regulation.

Originally posted by FCA Register
          ABBEY SOLICITORS LIMITED
          Exempt professional firm
          (Reference number: LS 567317)

This type of firm (such as solicitors, accountants and chartered surveyors) can provide some regulated products and services as part of their normal professional services, without being authorised or an agent of an authorised firm.

Brighton House 273-275 Wilmslow Road 273 Wilmslow Road MANCHESTER LANCASHIRE M14 5JQ LANCASHIRE
          and information on Solicitors requiring FCA CCA licence - http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/cod...ctivities.page
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi guys. new to this, I was finding it very interesting reading your posts so thought I would add my experiences.

Myself and my wife have been with Compass for the past 5 years, I know it was a fee paying company and lots of you are very negative about, that but I had no issues with them at all. We were both paying £160 a month (separate debts) and things were fine, payments always made on time, very few creditor phone calls. They even helped me when I had to go to court to contest a CCJ, the creditor couldn't prove my debt and the judge through it out of court in front of me, £8,799 debt wiped off, so that I will be grateful for them for. I even had some PPI back that a girl called Cerys sorted out for me and got that paid directly to me in a cheque. So overall I couldn't fault compass.

Then, like you say, they vanished, with £1500 in our client account. So like the rest of you, we didn't know what to do. I have had conversations with step change in the past and even though everybody says use them, they didn't come across very professional to me. I was treated like some idiot who had got into debt (I know I was but don't tell me that) and I didn't feel happy with them, hence why I went to compass in the first place.

Anyway, we too got our Abbey solicitors information pack. I have spoken to them several times and have spoken to "Sadaf Khan" and a guy called Gareth. It states we are to pay them £150 each for the next 12 months, no money goes to the creditors and Abbey write to all creditors stating 82 points of debt enforcement that my creditors have to adhere by and prove that all these were in place and in order when I took the credit out in the first place. If not, then the debt is written off. If this takes longer than 12 months then Abbey foot that bill themselves.

To be honest, our credit rating is screwed anyway so another 12 months of not paying creditors isn't going to matter. We are not planning on moving house or getting credit from anywhere and the type of debts we have, they can't take us to court especially with Abbey solicitors on their back, so to be honest we are going to use Abbey and see what happens. We can cancel at anytime we want if we are not happy with them. It may not be for all of you but like I say, we are giving it a go

Just thought I would share that. We know we are in debt, its all own fault and we messed up, but that's the situation!!
            Last edited by aidierobbo; 10th March 2016, 18:52:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Worrying. Very worrying. Sending out CCA's is fine - but if you send out a CCA and they don't send the agreement, all that happens is the debt carries on growing and being chased until eventually they take court action ( usually just before the 6 years point ) They still report to the CRA's. And they can find the agreements in between sending the CCA request and the day of the court hearing ( okay they quite often don't (have a read in our court claim forum) but do you want to risk £80k of CCJ's ? )

It's certainly not on my agenda not to maintain monthly payments.

Cartel Client Review - have a google. Carl Wright even.

I would really like to see the Abbey docs asap please. Sounds like you'd pay them £300 a month with NOTHING going to your creditors, in the vague hope the creditor doesn't have the agreement and buggers off for over 6 years ? so you could be paying £300 a month for over 6 years ? By which time the company has gone under and run off with yet more of your money.

I'm only assuming nothing goes to my debt, because there is no mention of any debt repayments in their guidance notes.

you can do that yourself for £1 a creditor - sorry £1.60 if you include stamp paper and envelope.

I've already done it so not convinced Abbey can do much for me.

The fee is only paid for a max 12 months - I asked them what happens then but have not had a reply although speaking to them again soon.

Also when is the creditors meeting and where are the details on this?

The meeting is in Leicester on 21st March - I'll confirm details tomorrow.

How long ago did you stop paying debts fully ? ( ie could defaults have dropped off your credit file already )

Just 2 years.

( oh goodness I'm having such a Deja Vu moment with this debt write off / pay us what you would have paid them stuff ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH )
              I've answered each section above.

Comment

Thanks Wingco xx

Hi Addie
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by aidierobbo View Post
                  Hi guys. new to this, I was finding it very interesting reading your posts so thought I would add my experiences.

Myself and my wife have been with Compass for the past 5 years, I know it was a fee paying company and lots of you are very negative about, that but I had no issues with them at all. We were both paying £160 a month (separate debts) and things were fine, payments always made on time, very few creditor phone calls. They even helped me when I had to go to court to contest a CCJ, the creditor couldn't prove my debt and the judge through it out of court in front of me, £8,799 debt wiped off, so that I will be grateful for them for. I even had some PPI back that a girl called Cerys sorted out for me and got that paid directly to me in a cheque. So overall I couldn't fault compass.

Then, like you say, they vanished, with £1500 in our client account. So like the rest of you, we didn't know what to do. I have had conversations with step change in the past and even though everybody says use them, they didn't come across very professional to me. I was treated like some idiot who had got into debt (I know I was but don't tell me that) and I didn't feel happy with them, hence why I went to compass in the first place.

Anyway, we too got our Abbey solicitors information pack. I have spoken to them several times and have spoken to "Sadaf Khan" and a guy called Gareth. It states we are to pay them £150 each for the next 12 months, no money goes to the creditors and Abbey write to all creditors stating 82 points of debt enforcement that my creditors have to adhere by and prove that all these were in place and in order when I took the credit out in the first place. If not, then the debt is written off. If this takes longer than 12 months then Abbey foot that bill themselves.

To be honest, our credit rating is screwed anyway so another 12 months of not paying creditors isn't going to matter. We are not planning on moving house or getting credit from anywhere and the type of debts we have, they can't take us to court especially with Abbey solicitors on their back, so to be honest we are going to use Abbey and see what happens. We can cancel at anytime we want if we are not happy with them. It may not be for all of you but like I say, we are giving it a go

Just thought I would share that. We know we are in debt, its all own fault and we messed up, but that's the situation!!
                  Thanks for your post Addie. It is difficult to discuss the Abbey Solicitors offering without knowing exactly what they are offering - would you be able to do a copy of the pack they sent you ? - photographs on a vaguely decent phone is okay as long as it is readable. (admin@legalbeagles.info)

To be honest this 82 points of debt enforcement sounds exceedingly reminiscent of Cartel and Basil Rankine from back in 2010 so I am dubious but not throwing baby out with the bath water until we have seen the paperwork.

You know you could do the same thing as you have described for £1 plus a stamp and an envelope per creditor ( http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement ) to start with.

This bit about another 12 months of not paying, well, your credit rating might be screwed but if you get a court claim then that's a further 6 years added if they manage to get a CCJ against you.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    Thanks for your post Addie. It is difficult to discuss the Abbey Solicitors offering without knowing exactly what they are offering - would you be able to do a copy of the pack they sent you ? - photographs on a vaguely decent phone is okay as long as it is readable. (admin@legalbeagles.info)

To be honest this 82 points of debt enforcement sounds exceedingly reminiscent of Cartel and Basil Rankine from back in 2010 so I am dubious but not throwing baby out with the bath water until we have seen the paperwork.

You know you could do the same thing as you have described for £1 plus a stamp and an envelope per creditor ( http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...y-of-Agreement ) to start with.

This bit about another 12 months of not paying, well, your credit rating might be screwed but if you get a court claim then that's a further 6 years added if they manage to get a CCJ against you.
                    Hi Aidie

Your experience with Compass was similar to mine - no real complaints and a great help when I needed it,. We also share the same view of Stepchange - completely the wrong attitude to people like us.

I'm very sceptical about Abbey and I would take heed of Amethyst's caution. There is no rush and so far I've had no problems getting my 'creditors' to accept my self-managed DMP.

I'm sure if it were as easy as asking the creditors to prove 82 points of compliance, many others would be doing it. But if you do decide to go ahead with Abbey, please keep us informed of progress.

Wingco
                    Last edited by Wingco; 10th March 2016, 22:27:PM. Reason: Repetition

Comment

Sorry guys, we have seriously been here before, Carl Wright had his assets seized and Basil Rankine spent a few months in prison.... we have a LOT of experience with CCA issues, PLEASE do not throw more money away.

I really would like to see the documents from the solcitors We need to know what they are selling you to know what action needs taking or if indeed it is okay.

I'll find the thread where we had a massive row with Basil about the 82 points of compliance... it's like they have just gone backwards 6 years and hoping everyone has forgotten.

( ahh just read it, it is remarkably civilised actually )
                      Last edited by Amethyst; 10th March 2016, 22:45:PM.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi Amethyst

What is it you have just read? Have no fears, I will not be going with Abbey. I'm just interested in what it is they are proposing. I heard recently that there is nothing these firms can do to get debts written off without ill-conceived, bound to lose court cases. I can't afford to pick up £80K's worth of CCJs.

Wingco xx

Comment

Phew ! ... just checking Sorry we had a lot of very hurt people in 2008-2010 ( and since ) and it really galls me to think similar might be coming up for a second go, especially on vulnerable people who have just been screwed over by their debt management company.
                          Been reading about the various forums and there are quite a few people who report the same thing ref approaches from Abbey about writing off debt for payment of their disposable income each month for 12 months.
                          I'll wait to see the docs xxx
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

Seems they're not registered for the 'special purpose' re debt management.

Registration Number: Z3187276
                            Date Registered: 16 May 2012 Registration Expires: 15 May 2016
                            Data Controller: ABBEY SOLICITORS LIMITED
                            Address:
                            BRIGHTON HOUSE
                            273 WILMSLOW ROAD
                            MANCHESTER
                            M14 5JQ
                            Other Names:
                            ABBEY SOLICITORS

This register entry describes, in very general terms, the personal data being processed by:
                            ABBEY SOLICITORS LIMITED
                            Nature of work - Solicitor

Description of processing
                            The following is a broad description of the way this organisation/data controller processes personal information. To understand how your own personal information is processed you may need to refer to any personal communications you have received, check any privacy notices the organisation has provided or contact the organisation to ask about your personal circumstances.

Reasons/purposes for processing information
                            We process personal information to enable us to provide legal services including advising and acting on behalf of our clients. We also process personal information in order to maintain our own accounts and records, promote our services and to support and manage our employees.

Type/classes of information processed
                            We process information relevant to the above reasons/purposes. This information may include:
                            • personal details
                            • family details
                            • lifestyle and social circumstances
                            • goods and services
                            • financial details
                            • business of the person whose personal information we are processing
                            • education and employment details

We also process sensitive classes of information that may include:
                            • physical or mental health details
                            • racial or ethnic origin
                            • political opinions
                            • religious or other beliefs
                            • sexual life
                            • trade union membership
                            • offences and alleged offences
                            • criminal proceedings, outcomes and sentences

Who the information is processed about
                            We process personal information about:
                            • clients
                            • suppliers and service providers
                            • complainants
                            • enquirers
                            • advisers, consultants and professional experts
                            • employees

Who the information may be shared with
                            We sometimes need to share the personal information we process with the individual themself and also with other organisations. Where this is necessary we are required to comply with all aspects of the Data Protection Act (DPA). What follows is a description of the types of organisations we may need to share some of the personal information we process with for one or more reasons.

Where necessary or required we share information with:
                            • family, associates or representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing
                            • current, past or prospective employers
                            • educators and examining bodies
                            • healthcare professionals, social and welfare organisations
                            • business associates
                            • trade associations and professional bodies
                            • suppliers and service providers
                            • ombudsman and regulatory authorities
                            • employment and recruitment agencies
                            • complainants, enquirers
                            • financial organisations
                            • debt collection and tracing agencies
                            • credit reference agencies
                            • private investigators
                            • courts and tribunals
                            • central government

Transfers
                            It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed information is only shared within the European Economic Area (EEA). Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the data protection act.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/16

Preliminary.

(1)
                              In this Part “the registrable particulars”, in relation to a data controller, means—

(a)
                              his name and address,

(b)
                              if he has nominated a representative for the purposes of this Act, the name and address of the representative,

(c)
                              a description of the personal data being or to be processed by or on behalf of the data controller and of the category or categories of data subject to which they relate,

(d)
                              a description of the purpose or purposes for which the data are being or are to be processed,

(e)
                              a description of any recipient or recipients to whom the data controller intends or may wish to disclose the data,

(f)
                              the names, or a description of, any countries or territories outside the European Economic Area to which the data controller directly or indirectly transfers, or intends or may wish directly or indirectly to transfer, the data,
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organis...and-credit.pdf

Debt Administration and Factoring
                                Description of processing
                                The following is a broad description of the way this organisation/datacontroller processes personal information. To understand how your ownpersonal information is processed you may need to refer to any personalcommunications you have received, check any privacy notices theorganisation has provided or contact the organisation to ask about yourpersonal circumstances.
                                Nature of work – Debt administration and factoring
                                Reasons/purposes for processing information
                                We process personal information to enable us to trace debtors, topurchase debts and to collect on behalf of creditors. We also processpersonal data to support and manage our employees and to maintain ourown accounts and records.
                                Type/classes of information processed
                                We process information relevant to the above reasons/purposes. This mayinclude:
                                 personal details family, lifestyle and social circumstances goods and services financial details education and employment details
                                We also process sensitive classes of information that may include:
                                 physical or mental health details racial or ethnic origin religious or other beliefs of a similar nature trade union membership offences including alleged offences criminal proceedings, outcomes and sentences
                                Who the information is processed about
                                We process personal information about our:
                                 customers and clients suppliers advisers and other professional experts complainants and enquirers employees
                                Who the information may be shared with
                                We sometimes need to share the personal information we process withthe individual themself and also with other organisations. Where this isnecessary we are required to comply with all aspects of the Data Protection Act (DPA).
                                What follows is a description of the types oforganisations we may need to share some of the personal information weprocess with for one or more reasons.
                                Where necessary or required we share information with:
                                 business associates and other professional advisers family and associates of the person whose personal data we areprocessing suppliers and service providers financial organisations ombudsmen and regulatory authorities central government credit reference agencies debt collection and tracing agencies traders in personal data courts and tribunals current, past and prospective employers educators and examining bodies
                                Transferring information overseas
                                We do not transfer any personal information outside the EuropeanEconomic Area (EEA)
                                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X