• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mis-sold a car with service history - anything I can do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mis-sold a car with service history - anything I can do?

Hiya,

Historically this forum has been really very helpful with offering advice so I thought I'd give it a go again.

My situation is as follows:

I purchased a 4 year old car from a local garage for £8000 in Feb 2015. I was advised it had a full service history. After 3 weeks it broke down on me. The garage were less than helpful but after a battle they agreed to undertake the work but dragged their heels taking a couple of weeks to fix it. It again broke down shortly after the 3 month warranty, with the same fault (injector wiring issue). To cut a long story short it has broken down 3 times in under a year. I had it MOT'd this month and when I asked the garage to stamp by service booklet he advised me that it is for another car. The chassis number is different and it clearly states it is a different model of vehicle. I feel I paid for a vehicle with a full service history when it has nothing. It has also been unreliable for me and wish id never committed to it. My finance agreement states I can't return it until I've made 18 months payments which would be July this year. My query is is there anything legally I can do due to being mid-sold a car with service history that doesn't exist?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Kind Regards
    Tags: None

Re: Mis-sold a car with service history - anything I can do?

Originally posted by lisalane78 View Post
    Hiya,

Historically this forum has been really very helpful with offering advice so I thought I'd give it a go again.

My situation is as follows:

I purchased a 4 year old car from a local garage for £8000 in Feb 2015. I was advised it had a full service history. After 3 weeks it broke down on me. The garage were less than helpful but after a battle they agreed to undertake the work but dragged their heels taking a couple of weeks to fix it. It again broke down shortly after the 3 month warranty, with the same fault (injector wiring issue). To cut a long story short it has broken down 3 times in under a year. I had it MOT'd this month and when I asked the garage to stamp by service booklet he advised me that it is for another car. The chassis number is different and it clearly states it is a different model of vehicle. I feel I paid for a vehicle with a full service history when it has nothing. It has also been unreliable for me and wish id never committed to it. My finance agreement states I can't return it until I've made 18 months payments which would be July this year. My query is is there anything legally I can do due to being mid-sold a car with service history that doesn't exist?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Kind Regards
    Hi Lisa,
    @ostell had posted a reply to you in another thread you had made previously

Point this out straight away to the garage. They have misdescribed the vehicle they sold you. Have you checked the details on the log book (V5) ? Do they agree with the car or the service book. What was the mileage recorded on the MOT details? Have you contacted a previous owner to see what the mileage was?

They may have given you a 3 month warranty but under legislation you have more rights (for possibly up to 6 years).
    Some further answers to Ostell's questions would be useful. Potentially you could have a claim against the dealer and the lender could also be jointly liable provided that the lender and dealer are two different companies and not related. Misrepresentation would be the main argument along with negligent mis-statement, or possibly deceit/fraudulent misrep if the dealer was already aware there was no service history but decided to advertise anyway.

Are you looking to return the vehicle or claim damages?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X