• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Section 35 DPA request to a Bank for details of recipient of funds sent inadvertently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Section 35 DPA request to a Bank for details of recipient of funds sent inadvertently

Hello everyone,

My friend accidentally paid money to someone who he cannot recall dealing with in the past but must have since the guy's details are on his system. He notified his bank the next day and they are looking into it but said they are not sure they can get the money back. My question is can he ask his bank under section 35 to disclose the recipient's address so that he can pursue recovery of the money through the small claims court? I would have thought so but can't find anything on the internet where an individual has done this and/or succeeeded. I think there is a charge for this service of like £80, which is maybe why people don't bother. Thanks vm in advance for any light anyone can throw on this matter in terms of how my friend should proceed.
    Tags: None

Re: Section 35 DPA request to a Bank for details of recipient of funds sent inadverte

Originally posted by Vitamin33 View Post
    Hello everyone,

My friend accidentally paid money to someone who he cannot recall dealing with in the past but must have since the guy's details are on his system. He notified his bank the next day and they are looking into it but said they are not sure they can get the money back. My question is can he ask his bank under section 35 to disclose the recipient's address so that he can pursue recovery of the money through the small claims court? I would have thought so but can't find anything on the internet where an individual has done this and/or succeeeded. I think there is a charge for this service of like £80, which is maybe why people don't bother. Thanks vm in advance for any light anyone can throw on this matter in terms of how my friend should proceed.
    The bank should be able to disclose the details of the person as is for the purpose of recovering money through legal proceedings including prospective proceedings as the act says. I am not sure about a charge however if the bank is going to be difficult and awkward you could apply to the court to summons them to court and get and order for them to hand over the details. Obviously it will cost some money for this and the cost of the application might outweigh the cost of payment but if they are being difficult and unreasonable you could ask the court for the bank to the costs of the application.

Some banks I've had experience with will refuse point blank until they have been summonsed to court, and at that point they will start complying. In terms of going about it, there could be a variety of options from writing to the bank or speaking to a manager in a branch and explaining taking a copy of s.35 for him or her to understand what you are after. Either may say they cannot give that information so the next step might be to contact the legal team if you can get the details and explain politely what you are after, which might get you somewhere.

Bear in mind just because s.35 says data controllers can give the information doesn't mean they are obliged to and would need an order from the court to do so.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: Section 35 DPA request to a Bank for details of recipient of funds sent inadverte

Hello everyone,

If the question is a legal one, then yes they have a remedy available for this type of thing it's called 'tracing.' It matters not which whomever, which bank account, even matters not if the bank account has been mixed with other money. How else do you think they can investigate money laundering in secret bank accounts?

Comment

Hello everyone,

What details does your friend have from 'the guy' already? You say he's on his system (your friend's)? Explain by what mean 'guy's details in his system?' Was it a bank transfer? How did he accidentally pay the person anyway, bank transfers have unique numbers I believe.

Comment

Thank you very much for replies. We have a name and sort code and bank account number and there seem to be about five or six people with the same name. Many thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much Rob, most helpful.

Comment

T thank you very much. We have a name a bank account number and sort code and there seem to be about 5 or 6 people with the same name. it's cross my mind to write to them all asking whether by any chance they were the recipient, although I think would have to be careful in terms of how much information we provided in a letter so as not to breach data protection by giving out someone's sort code and bank account number so perhaps just the sort code and a few digits of the account number.

Comment

I would be a little cautious writing to them all as they could all just ignore you or deny it - do you have the addresses or was that something that you thought about when you received the information?
              Do you also know the name of the bank it was transferred to?

If you don't take a look at this website which allows you to input a sort code and check the name of the bank its gone to -> http://www.paymentsuk.org.uk/consume...t-code-checker

You could then alternatively, contact the recipient's bank in the same ways mentioned above and confirm whether or not payment has been made to that account and that should help to pin point the person you need to write to. Again, the bank might refuse to disclose anything but at least you can identify the bank which the funds had gone to should you decide to make an application to the court.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you again. He doesn't have the addresses of all the people but I've managed to find some of them through Internet research, I will use that link, cheers, to establish the bank and get my friend to write to them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X