• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Blemain Finance Unfair Charges & Redemption Figure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blemain Finance Unfair Charges & Redemption Figure

Good Morning All, I wonder if I can draw on the experitse, knowledge and experience of those who have had dealings with BF.

The details and concerns are as follows:
    Secured loan taken out in 2004 - £18900, settled in 2008 - £19,343. The breakdown of this is: £8,233 (rebate), costs & charges (£195), redemption admin fee (£395), default interest (£177), legal doc fee (£690). I did ask for the formula as to how these figures were reached and was sent some strange numbers from taken from the office of fair trading website. Rule 78 was used I believe.

Is there any challenge in the way this loan was calculated, 4 years later the loan had increased. I tried to address these concerns with BF but obviously i just got pushed aside and a letter was sent to justify their actions but i want and need to challenge its fairness. Any views and opionions and quesrions on this would be grately appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Blemain Finance Unfair Charges & Redemption Figure

Hi Ruby50,
    I believe that rule 78 was not used in settlement calculations from 2005 onwards.. ...I'm pretty sure the OFT sent an advise out to lenders to tell them to cease using it..............I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sparkie

Comment

Thank you Sparkie. So the question will be was it lawful for the loan to be calculated via R78 when the loan was settled in 2008. Maybe other members will come forward with their views on R78 and when it was abolished.

Comment

Does anyone have any knowledge on my original post?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby50 View Post
          Does anyone have any knowledge on my original post?
          The rule of 78 basically means you are penalised by paying your loan off early as it relies on calculating your interest on/over 10 years less a rebate, calculated, using the rule of 78.

The use of the rule of 78 is considered "unfair" on loans (especially) over £25K (Evans vs Cherry Tree Finance LTD) also the "fairness" is coming into question over longer term loans.

The OFT in its report , "Non status lending-Guidelines for lenders & brokers" revised in Nov 1997, stated that lenders should stop using the rule of 78 in relation to unregulated secured loans.

Comment

Because the loan was taken out before 31st May 2005 the loan would have been regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
            R78 would apply because it was commonly used to calculate early repayment costs at that time and how ERCs are calculated depends on when the loan was taken out not when it was settled.

Comment

Thank you very much for both the responses.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X