• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal help on site advertising services in directory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal help on site advertising services in directory

Hi all

I'm new to this forum, and hope someone can help.

I'm looking to build a website based community. Where people joining can get a profile and a range of services in the UK

I plan to have a directory and advertise and review sites, for example model agencies.

Few things I would like to know,

1.Is it ok to put model agencies in my directory using their logo to advertise their page without permission? Or do they have to give me permission or ask to be in this directory?

Really the same applies to any business like training courses for example.

2.Say after 3 months I have lots of users, for example I have 1000 users. I may decide to become an agency myself, or even offer my own courses similar to those I've previously advertised in my directory……Is this perfectly fine and legal to do?

3.If one of these companies I have advertised post on their social media accounts etc., recommending my site to their customers as it contains useful information (and at that point no competition). And in the future I became competition to them, could they sue me by saying I always knew I would become competition to them?

4.Does it make matter worse if I asked them for a shout out rather than off their own back? or does it not matter either way?

I would like to point out that my site is completely free to join and atm the only revenue I would make would be through paid ads
    Tags: None

Re: Legal help on site advertising services in directory

Logos are copyright and you should ask permission from the owner

Comment

How about if dont use logo, just their name with a weblink and details.

Also how about the other factors mentioned?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      Logos are copyright and you should ask permission from the owner
      How about if dont use logo, just their name with a weblink and details.

Also how about the other factors mentioned?

Comment

Most companies would be happy to feature in a free directory directing potential customers to their services, if you are genuinely building a resource for people to find those services. It'd be a good idea to give a few likely firms a call and ask them if they'd like to be included in your free directory, test the water and go from there. Make it clear on your site that you will remove any firm who doesn't wish to be listed on request ( some might not want more business or just consider themselves 'exclusive' etc ).

If you do then decide to set up on your own, there's nothing to stop you still having the directory to others offering the services, or setting a subdirectory website up for your stuff leaving the useful directory where it is.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Most companies would be happy to feature in a free directory directing potential customers to their services, if you are genuinely building a resource for people to find those services. It'd be a good idea to give a few likely firms a call and ask them if they'd like to be included in your free directory, test the water and go from there. Make it clear on your site that you will remove any firm who doesn't wish to be listed on request ( some might not want more business or just consider themselves 'exclusive' etc ).

If you do then decide to set up on your own, there's nothing to stop you still having the directory to others offering the services, or setting a subdirectory website up for your stuff leaving the useful directory where it is.
          Hi Amethyst

thanks for response.
          So you reckon contact all companies i wish to add in directory and ask if they wish to be in the directory.
          Or just add them, and contact them saying we have added you to our directory if you wish to be removed, please contact us?

And as mentioned even tho for example in my directory there are say a list of 50 model agencies,
          It is ok that I too become a modelling agency with such directory still active.

Id like to give my users all relevent information and optional agencies they can join, but having the option of accepting work from myself

Comment

Originally posted by danjames View Post
            So you reckon contact all companies i wish to add in directory and ask if they wish to be in the directory.
            Or just add them, and contact them saying we have added you to our directory if you wish to be removed, please contact us?
            I think what Amethyst is saying is give a sample number of companies a call to find out the general reaction. Strictly speaking you can list any information that's in the public domain (except for logos) but calling a few companies first will give you a feel for how they'd react.

And as mentioned even tho for example in my directory there are say a list of 50 model agencies,
            It is ok that I too become a modelling agency with such directory still active.
            I'd be a bit careful about that myself, it would depend on what information you're providing on the directory. If you're incuding services/prices etc and then including yourself in the directory then in compromises the impartiality of the 'directory'.

Comment

I don't see any legal issue with that ( although I'm by no means a lawyer) there are many businesses which have a 'if we can't help you check out other firms' ... I think give a few a call to test the water.... then set it up, start getting your traffic up and then slowly work through your list giving firms a call .... keep a track on traffic going through to the listed sites and potentially later consider a subs model for featured adverts etc.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                I think what Amethyst is saying is give a sample number of companies a call to find out the general reaction. Strictly speaking you can list any information that's in the public domain (except for logos) but calling a few companies first will give you a feel for how they'd react.

I'd be a bit careful about that myself, it would depend on what information you're providing on the directory. If you're incuding services/prices etc and then including yourself in the directory then in compromises the impartiality of the 'directory'.
                [MENTION=332]EXC[/MENTION]
                So what your saying is if in the directory i list their services and prices or commission, then I have my own agency listed in my own directory, but listing my prices or commission is the best, basically saying "look this is why we are so better" etc

but listing them in catorgies with their name and just link to their website, no other information, leave that for user to decide, then that is ok

Comment

If you have a look on Wikivorce - they are a business selling divorce packages through a particular law firm. they have a list of their ''competitiors'' as a 'comparison' ->http://www.wikivorce.com/divorce/Leg...omparison.html - just by way of example.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by danjames View Post
                    @EXC
                    So what your saying is if in the directory i list their services and prices or commission, then I have my own agency listed in my own directory, but listing my prices or commission is the best, basically saying "look this is why we are so better" etc

but listing them in catorgies with their name and just link to their website, no other information, leave that for user to decide, then that is ok
                    In short yes.

Comment

When we set up a website years ago selling products we contacted all the companies whose products we were going to sell asking permission to use their logos and reproduce website material some gave permission only and others supplied more codes links and other info some of course did not reply we still used their logos and never got any trouble.
                      if you are going to set up in completion be sure to get further advice

Comment

thanks for help, would there be a specific type of lawyer to get such advice relevent to what im doing

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X