• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Claim - Arrow Global / MBNA - 4-2-2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Claim - Arrow Global / MBNA - 4-2-2016

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 4-2-2016
    Amount approx: 7000
    Claimant: Arrow Global
    Solicitor: Restons
    Original Credit: MBNA

Particulars of Claim:
    The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and MBNA dated on or about Aug 16 2008 and assigned to the Claimant on Apr 20 1012

Stat Barred? No

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim, Sent a CCA request, Sent a CPR 31.14 request

Other Info:
    Just a question: if they have all the documents I requested, can I possibly have any other grounds for disputing this?

I really don’t need CCJ on my credit file and would rather avoid it. Will I still have an opportunity to try and work out an arrangement?

Final question: Theres an error on the MBNA Assignment letter, (it says Arrowe Global, instead of Arrow), can that be grounds for a defence of the claim. Though I need to add, I have been communicating with Arrow Global over the years.

Please kindly help, I believe I have just 3 days left.
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - Arrow Global / MBNA - 4-2-2016

The claimant has to prove as an assignee that they have a legal right to sue for the debt (that the assignment is valid) , that both the original creditor (MBNA) and it have complied with all their statutory duties under the CCA 1974 including the S.78 CCA request. Unfortunately the agreement is post April 2007 so the s.127(3) unenforceabilty is not applicable here.

You just need to put the claimant to proof of the above when you draft your defence.

And yes if the Notice of Assignment is incorrect/different to the particulars of claim then the claimant does have a problem.

Comment

Thanks lot Josie8

Comment

Hi people, and [MENTION=7765]josie8[/MENTION]

A little urgent help needed here. Current situation update:

Claim form was dated 4th February 2016
        I acknowledged on time.
        Requested the CPR31 and CCA letters on the 19th – A bit late cos I lost track of the time line.
        I haven’t heard from Arrow Global and the deadline has passed for the CCA request (however, about 2 years ago, I made this request to them, and got some online agreement. Does this matter?)

Now my issue is:
        For the CPR31 request, the 12 working day deadline is on the same 8th of March, which is the deadline for submitting my defense. I figure after the morning mail delivery, if I don’t hear anything, I’ll update my defense on the website. Is it safe for me to do this so late?

Comment

Re the CPR request

It is fairly standard to request a reply within 7 days, though this is not writ in stone.

The most important thing is to conform to the court's schedule; imho, put in a defense based on lack of disclosure.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hello guys, based on the claim here:

“The Claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the Defendant and MBNA dated on or about Aug 16 2007 and assigned to the Claimant on Apr 20 2012”

This is what I’ve been able to write up for my defence. Any help looking over this for me will be greatly appreciated.

IN THE COUNTY COURT BUSINESS CENTRE
            Case No
            (NAME) - Claimant
            Vs
            (NAME) – Defendant

Defence
            I. The Defendant denies monies are owed to the Claimant as alleged in the Particulars of Claim and does not recognise the assertion that any debt has been Legally Assigned to the Claimant and as such the Claimant is put to the strictest of proof, including but not limited to:

I. Pursuant to s.77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA1974) the Original Signed Consumer Credit Agreement, along with a copy of the original Terms & Conditions, and show how the Defendant has entered into a contract.

II. Show how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed by proving a full Statement of the Account, including details of all payments made and calculation of how interest was charged against each item listed, leading to the Alleged Debt of £6,788.97. ( or £7,298.97 including court fees and legal representative’s costs) ??

III. Show how and when the contract was breached and provide notice by way of Notice of Sums in Arrears served by the Original Owners along with a copy of the Default Notice from the original owners of the Alleged Debt and Certified Copies of how this was served upon the Defendant.

IV. Show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim by providing the following:

a) A copy of the Default Notice and Certified Copies of how this was served upon the Defendant.

b) As claimant has stated the debt was assigned to the claimant on 20/04/2012, a copy of the Legal Assignment, including, but not limited to a copy of the Deed of Assignment and/or Deed of Tripartite Novation.

c) A copy of how the Defendant was served with the aforementioned Legal Assignment.

d) A copy of the Alleged Notice of Assignment sent by the original creditor to the Defendant and details of how this was served upon the Defendant.

e) Details of the costs paid by the Claimant to the Original Owner for the Alleged Assignment of the Agreement on 20/04/2012.

V. As per Civil Procedure rules 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation (as set out in the Particulars of Claim) that the money is owed.

VI. Also, in my defence, I am not a Solicitor and after having read the Particular of Claim I cannot see any legislation has been quoted in support of the Claimants claim against me, which leaves me unsure under which Statutory Instrument this Claim has been brought. Therefore, again to be able to properly defend this claim I would request full details of the actual legislation the Claimant believes gives them a right to make this claim, as surely no claim can succeed without this being quoted in the Particulars of Claim?

I request under Civil Procedure Rule 39A (3.3) any documents upon which the claimant intends to rely are brought to any subsequent hearing for examination.

I have requested further information under Civil Procedure Rule 18 but, to date, have not received an adequate response.

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated in this defence are true.

March 4, 2016

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X