• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What age can a child choose where to live

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age can a child choose where to live

Hi, my son who is 15 this year wants to live with me. I've had him every weekend since birth. He is unhappy at home and failing in school and is very intelligent and openly says he is unhappy at home and wants to come to me. Ive always said he is best with mum, but not at this stage he is really failing. I I was never added to the birth certificate nor ever given perental responsibility despite paying the csa a chuck and having him every weekend (Fri-Sun). Can my son start the ball rolling. His mother tried to convince everyone he has mental issues, but the local Community Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH) Services interviewed him and said he was fine, a well grounded child who doesnt have any issues other than is unhappy with himself. I want to help as best I can, but he will not stop his bad behaviour until he gets to live with me. Can he decide now? If so how would he or I proceed?
    Tags: None

Re: What age can a child choose where to live

He can and you can by applying to the courts but I think you as the father needs to be very careful. Some kids can play one parent off against the other so be very very careful.
    Why is he failing at school? Just because he does not agree with the rules of the house does not mean that his mother is a bad mother and does not legitimise someone intentionally failing at school. There is a phrase which says that if the child behaves badly at home then it is the fault of the parents and if he fails at school it is the fault of the teachers.
    If you do not have parental responsibility then that could be an issue.
    He might be able to seek advice which is why I am giving you a link to the National Youth Advocacy Service which has a helpline which he can call.
    Please tread carefully yourself

https://www.nyas.net/legal-services
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X