• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISMISSED** CCJ Help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **DISMISSED** CCJ Help Needed

Firstly, thank you for allowing me to join the forum. Now for the help...

I recently applied for a rental property and during the vetting process they identified a CCJ against me; I had no knowledge of this and have never received any court paperwork. I have checked Noddle, Experian and Equifax and I can see the CCJ dated 19 Jul 2014 for £12400. However, I was living abroad on this date but it is registered at my previous address in the UK. I have spoken with the county court and have been informed that the claim was lodged by Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd via their solicitor BW Legal.

I have checked all three credit reports and I have no defaulted account recorded. But, I can see Lowell conducted a search (Administration Review) on 26 Jan 2015; but nothing since.

In a panic I have submitted a Form N244 to ensure no enforcement action is taken and to request a hearing. I don't know if the standard letters are appropriate in this case as the CCJ is already in place. Any help/guidance greatly received as I am worried sick and will be moving out soon with no ability to rent due to the CCJ.
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ Help Needed

Does anyone have any idea how long the courts take to respond o the N244 from?

Comment

Hi. welcome to LB,

What application have you made set aside?
      The judgement superseded the original agreement meaning
      that the claimant has no obligation to produce any documents
      such as the original agreement.

You have grounds to set aside because you were outside the UK
      when the claim was issued.

You will have to show that you would have a defence to the original claim
      that has a reasonable chance of success.

What is the debt for?
      Have you filed the application at your local county court?

nem

nem.

Comment

Hi Nem,

I submitted the N244 to the court where the case was originally heard; that's what they advised me to do. They said they would transfer it to my local court.

I have no idea what the debt is for. I've never had anything for that amount and I've checked to make sure I have no defaulted accounts on my credit file.

All the court could tell me was it was Lowell/BW legal.

Regards
        Eg

Comment

Originally posted by egbert View Post
          Hi Nem,

I submitted the N244 to the court where the case was originally heard; that's what they advised me to do. They said they would transfer it to my local court.

I have no idea what the debt is for. I've never had anything for that amount and I've checked to make sure I have no defaulted accounts on my credit file.

All the court could tell me was it was Lowell/BW legal.

Regards
          Eg
          Hello Eg, the form N244 is used for a number of " applications " to the court, was yours an application
          to set the judgement aside?
          The only thing that should show now in regard to the debt is the judgement, all the previous records
          are no longer relevant.

A debt of £12.4K is not easy to forget?

nem

Comment

Yes, I asked in the application to have the Judgment set aside and a stay of any enforcement action (not that there has been any). I also added that I wished to defend the case. The only amount I have ever had that was anywhere near that was a car loan which I settled early; and that shows on my credit file as settled.

Regards
            Eg

Comment

Yes, I asked in the application to have the Judgment set aside and a stay of any enforcement action (not that there has been any). I also added that I wished to defend the case. The only amount I have ever had that was anywhere near that was a car loan which I settled early; and that shows on my credit file as settled.

Regards
              Eg
              Ok application in! Fee Paid?

It's wait and see time!!
              nem

Comment

Yes £155 sent with two copies of the application. Here's hoping the response is quick.

Comment

I now have a date for a hearing - is there anything I should do in the interim?

Comment

I've received an email from BW Legal asking me to contact them - should I? Or, should I just wait for for my day in court?

Comment

I've received an email from BW Legal asking me to contact them - should I? Or, should I just wait for for my day in court?
                      Would be wise to contact BW IN Writing only just to see what they are up to.

Start forming a defence, take a look at threads to get an idea of content and format.
                      Also your " witness " statement " for the set aside hearing.

nem

Comment

I thought I'd better provide an update... The Court date has been delayed for a few months due to the Judges availability. I wrote to BW after receiving their email and have received nothing back.

Comment

So tomorrow is the "big day" and today I receive via email an N260 Statement of Costs - unfortunately whoever completed it can't add up. There are significant errors on the paperwork.

Comment

So tomorrow is the "big day" and today I receive via email an N260 Statement of Costs - unfortunately whoever completed it can't add up. There are significant errors on the paperwork.
                            Good morning Egbert,

Who prepared the N260 one of BWL's comic office bods?

Good luck!!

nem

Comment

Yes, it appears to have been. The figures don't add up and the schedule of charges doesn't match the individual billable items. I've got everything ready but I'm still nervous as hell...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X