• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ccj set aside query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ccj set aside query

Hi,

I'm a first time poster on here. I would appreciate some advice.

My wife has a ccj against her name for a parking fine. We moved house during the dispute of the fine and wrote to inform the parking company of the new address, at the same time saying we did not intend to pay the fine because we didn't not consider it was proportionate to the misdemeanour.

A year later, unbeknownst to us, court papers had been sent to our old address in error and having not had a chance to respond to this, my wife now finds she has the ccj.

We filed to have the ccj set aside on the basis that the company knew our new address and we had absolutely no control over the process by which the judgement was made.

My wife appeared in court today and was dismissed by a judge without any consideration of the mistake of address. The judge only asked her to plead her case for the removal of the parking charge when our argument was not about the charge itself anymore but the ccj itself.

Is there anything else we can do now the judge has said that there is no case? It doesn't seem at all fair to us that due to someone else's administrative error she now has a ccj against her name which will affect our lives so much.

Thank you for reading this and sorry it is such a monologue.
    Tags: None

Re: Ccj set aside query

If they told the judge what you told them about not paying that's a good reason not to set it aside

Comment

Re: Ccj set aside query

The judge only asked her to plead her case for the removal of the parking charge when our argument was not about the charge itself anymore but the ccj itself.
      To have a CCJ set aside, you have to be able to show you didn't know about it - in her case the papers were sent somewhere else - AND to have a good defence to a the claim.

It sounds as though the judge decided she didn't have a defence.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X