• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ for gym membership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ for gym membership

Hi

Back in 2012 I popped into the local sports center to take my daughter swimming and ended up taking on a gym membership.
    At the time I asked the assistant and she told me that as long as i didnt use the facilities that I could cancel the membership the
    next day if I changed my mind. I called the following day to cancel and was told by someone else I had to pay 2 months membership
    in order to cancel. I declined and argued that I had not used the facilities and had been told otherwise. Fast forward to 2016 and I
    checked my credit file and find a CCJ for £99. I had not received this at any stage and never even received a default notice. I spoke
    to the leisure center and they are adamant that they have done nothing wrong and that they always insist on two months payment to
    cancel. I understand that they are not covered under the CCA but surely there must be a right of appeal with some organization or
    other? I would appreciate anyone help please.
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ for gym membership

Although there are no statutory cancellation rights for consumers when buying on business premises they should provide certain pre-contract information and leave a copy of the agreement with you ?

You do of course have an argument with the mis-representation of the sales person, as well as the complete lack of contact before the court claim and subsequent CCJ. You will need to apply to the court to set aside the judgement to have this removed from the credit file, and it will cost you £155 unless you are exempt from court fees.

when was the CCJ obtained?

Have you moved house etc since signing up with the gym?

any reason you might not have received the court papers?

Information relating to on-premises contracts

The information referred to in regulation 9(1) is—

(a)the main characteristics of the goods or services, to the extent appropriate to the medium of communication and to the goods or services;

(b)the identity of the trader (such as the trader’s trading name), the geographical address at which the trader is established and the trader’s telephone number;

(c)the total price of the goods or services inclusive of taxes, or where the nature of the goods or services is such that the price cannot reasonably be calculated in advance, the manner in which the price is to be calculated;

(d)where applicable, all additional delivery charges or, where those charges cannot reasonably be calculated in advance, the fact that such additional charges may be payable;

(e)where applicable, the arrangements for payment, delivery, performance, and the time by which the trader undertakes to deliver the goods or to perform the service;

(f)where applicable, the trader’s complaint handling policy;

(g)in the case of a sales contract, a reminder that the trader is under a legal duty to supply goods that are in conformity with the contract;

(h)where applicable, the existence and the conditions of after-sales services and commercial guarantees;

(i)the duration of the contract, where applicable, or, if the contract is of indeterminate duration or is to be extended automatically, the conditions for terminating the contract;

(j)where applicable, the functionality, including applicable technical protection measures, of digital content;

(k)where applicable, any relevant compatibility of digital content with hardware and software that the trader is aware of or can reasonably be expected to have been aware of.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by wood714867 View Post
      Hi

Back in 2012 I popped into the local sports center to take my daughter swimming and ended up taking on a gym membership.
      At the time I asked the assistant and she told me that as long as i didnt use the facilities that I could cancel the membership the
      next day if I changed my mind. I called the following day to cancel and was told by someone else I had to pay 2 months membership
      in order to cancel. I declined and argued that I had not used the facilities and had been told otherwise. Fast forward to 2016 and I
      checked my credit file and find a CCJ for £99. I had not received this at any stage and never even received a default notice. I spoke
      to the leisure center and they are adamant that they have done nothing wrong and that they always insist on two months payment to
      cancel. I understand that they are not covered under the CCA but surely there must be a right of appeal with some organization or
      other? I would appreciate anyone help please.
      Good afternoon, welcome to LB.

This is a familiar and common problem with gym membership agreements.
      Do you have your copy of the agreement?

Was this agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 some are some are
      not.?

Unregulated agreements ( service contracts etc.) don't have to have default notices in
      the same ways credit agreements it's likely that a Final Demand for payment would have
      been sent.

There is no " organisation" for you to appeal to, a County Court Judgement would have
      to be set aside, which means making an application ( Form N244) to the court (Fee £155)
      for the judgement to be set aside.

Grounds have to be shown for the application and you will need to show that you had/have
      a defence to the original claim that has a reasonable chance of success.

Not receiving the claim pack is sufficient ground together with not receiving a Formal Final
      Demand would be enough.

A defence base on the original verbal assurance the membership could be cancelled the next
      day may be a problem much depends on the contract terms and conditions thereof.

nem

Comment

Thank you Amethyst & Nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X