• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Newcastle Council Tax - Jacobs Enforcement Agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newcastle Council Tax - Jacobs Enforcement Agency

Originally posted by IGotSatan View Post

My understanding is that Jacobs have no legal power because this case was never even looked at by a magistrate. That's why in this case they are operating under the name Jacobs Enforcement Agency rather than Jacobs Bailiffs (they have two different websites for these variations). I'll tell them my student accommodation address so that they don't sell my parents' door mat XD.
    They have got power, & they will excercise it.
    If you have a car, they have ANPR.
    & they'll keep adding charges.

The only real defenses to a liability order are
    a/ the money has been paid
    b/ you are not the person responsible for payment.

& you cannot now just pay the outstanding CT - the bailiffs have first dibs on any money paid in.

It's not right & it's not fair
    Unfortunately, it is what it is.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Forget claims they have no ;legal power and the costs of a liability order as I said before unless you sort this expect them to harass your parents or find you or car near them its not worth trying to quote crap about what they cannot do the want the money.

Comment

They will try to make your parents pay they will go after your car or even your parents, an arrangement has to be paid regularly to be in "Cleared" Funds by the appointed day, so due on Friday, pay in on Tuesday.

They have a Liability Order, have passed it to Jacobs so £305 has been added to the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by IGotSatan View Post
          The council have finally explained that I did not follow their "payment plan" of confusing and arbitrary amounts. Apparently sending them 10% of my paycheque every month was not good enough as the amounts weren't sent in the same order as their letters. I'm therefore treated the same as a non-payer.
          If you are correct that you were not behind with council tax, then you need to put in a formal complaint http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/your-cou...ke-a-complaint. List the amounts you paid on which dates. Ask them to confirm that you don't have any council tax arrears and cancel the liability order and bailiffs costs.

However, most cases I have seen which sound like this have normally happened when the council tax payer actually owes some money for two different council tax years and there has been a problem with allocating the payments to the correct years. If you think this may have happened to you, you need to ask the council to send you a statement of your account for this and any previous tax years where there has been a balance outstanding in the last year. Then armed with these I suggest you go to your local Citizens Advice who will be able to help you establish what has happened.

Comment

Good points Debt Camel What was the original debt amount? As it would appear that it is mainly fees jacobs are chasing.

Comment

The OP has already said they were not paying as they should have. If this is the case then the Council have done no wrong - harsh I know but that is the system. Now it has been passed to Jacobs then things will only get worse. They will already have added the £75 fee and if a visit is made then another £235 will also be added.

It appears you have been following some very dubious information. There is nothing that says the Council have to inform you they have been granted a Liability Order & usually the first you will hear will be the Notice of Enforcement from the Bailiffs.

Comment

I told the council I thought it was unreasonable to be treated the same way as a non-payer when I sent monthly payments, just not in the correct sequence. I also asked for a breakdown of the £84 court costs, name of the magistrate who personally reviewed my payment history, official court documents, number of people who were summoned to the same session, and an estimate of profit made by the council based on £84 per person.

Their response was to cancel the court costs and withdraw the matter from Jacobs.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Comment

Pleased to hear you got a result.

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X