• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial Mortimer Clarke Solicitors 29.01.16 County Court Claim Form Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Financial Mortimer Clarke Solicitors 29.01.16 County Court Claim Form Received

Hi everyone,

Really looking for some help and advice as I've today received a county court claim form for a claim against me by Cabot Financial made by Mortimer Clark Solicitors.

I was contacted by Cabot in 2014 regarding a debt I had with Vanquis Credit Cards, it seemed much higher than I remember so I asked for details of the original debt, they advised this would take time and so I went through a budget with them and agreed a payment of about £80 a month to reduce the debt slightly and show my willingness to cooperate with them. However I moved the debt down from £3000 (far higher than I ever remember the credit limit being on the card) down to just above £2000 over subsequent months, I reviewed this with them and on 2 more occasions at least I queried the amount outstanding and asked for more info. I foolishly didnt get this in writing or record the dates I spoke to them but hope there is a record from when the repayments were agreed and set up. I missed one payment and they just stopped claiming the direct debit. If this makes any difference the card defaulted in 2011 although from reading other posts where I have made payments to them after this the 6 year expiry on unacknowledged or unpaid personal debts would not apply for some time.

I heard no more until a phone call some months ago where I advised I was not prepared to set up more payments until I had a breakdown of the outstanding debt.

Now I have a county court claim form against me, having not received a formal notice they intended to do so.

I have immediately today reviewed some of the other cases on here and have requested a copy of my CCA from the creditor (now Cabot Financial) with a postal order of £1 as the statutory fee.

I have also submitted a letter asking for copies of the documents under CPR 31.14 to Mortimer Clarke Solicitors (Copy Below).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Dear Sirs,

Claim Number: XXXXXXXX (Issue date XX Jan 2016).

Request for documents mentioned in a statement of case under CPR 31.14

On 29/01/2016 I received a County Court claim from yourselves of which I have acknowledged receipt indicating my intention to defend in full.

To enable me to file my defence and/or counterclaim, I require inspection of documents you mention in your statement of case ahead of filing my defence.

Agreement between VANQUIS & the Defendant on or around xx/xx/2008

Assignment of the agreement to the claimant.

You should note that this claim has not yet been allocated to a specific track and the provisions of CPR 27(2) are of no effect. Had your claim not been issued through CCBC the Claimant would have been obliged to attach copies of the documentation upon which it relies to the Particulars of Claim. I as Defendant, am entitled to see the documents on which the Claimant relies and which you will have to produce at trial. Disclosure at this stage will enable me to fully plead my case and further the Overriding Objective.

You should ensure compliance with your CPR 31 duties and ensure that the document(s) I have requested are copied to and received by me within 7 days of receiving this letter.

If you require more time in which to comply with this request you must tell me in writing and confirm your agreement to an extension of the time allowed for me to file my defence as allowed under CPR 15.5 so I may notify the court.

Furthermore, I wish to place on record my objection to receiving a Claim Form without receiving either a default notice or a letter before action from either Cabot Financial (UK) Limited or Mortimer Clarke Solicitors.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely
    __________________________________________________ _________

I have submitted my acknowledgement of service to extend my defence submission date to 28 days to allow time for responses on the above.

Now I'm not sure how else to proceed or what to do and am out of my mind with worry. I have no assets as such and am living with family so I'm worried if a debt is enforced they will ask me to leave as it would be difficult in a shared house to prove who owns what.

If / when this goes to court will I be required to attend even though the court is nearly 90 miles from my home?

Further guidance would be so greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Cabot Financial Mortimer Clarke Solicitors 29.01.16 County Court Claim Form Recei

Hi NewToThisStuff, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

The alleged debt is not statute-barred, but that's not fatal to your case.

So far you have done everything exactly right (though you don't state whether you obtained proof of postage.)

The ball is now in their court - Cabot have to produce the items requested within 12 days (+2 for posting), & should they fail to do so they cannot legally proceed with the case until they do produce acceptable documents.
    So do not chase them for this.

M Clarke, on the other hand, have 7 days to cough up (no legal requirement, just good manners)
    They won't - they will send you a standard template letter filled with nonsense, & referring to a 28 day extension.
    It is considered 'reasonable' to agree to this. It must be done in writing, & you must inform the court asap, enclosing copies of the agreement. (It wouldn't harm to gently highlight the fact that it is they who need the extension, not you. )

The most important thing to bear in mind is the court's timetable on this.
    Make sure you follow the court's instructions (sod MC or Cabot! It is in their interests for you to miss deadlines & they will go for a default judgement against you).

& of course, keep us posted on this thread; there are plenty of folks here to help you through this tiresome episode.
    (Read through some of the other Cabot/MC threads - there are loads in this section & in the 'Welcome' section - it will give you a good feel for what to do - but check with us first!)

& keep all envelopes posted to you - a letter dated 15th isn't always posted on the 15th, :tinysmile_twink_t2:
    Last edited by charitynjw; 30th January 2016, 02:30:AM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Cabot Financial Mortimer Clarke Solicitors 29.01.16 County Court Claim Form Recei

Hi there,
      Just an update from me on this, the letters were all signed for on Monday 1st February and I've printed copies of the proof of delivery and kept my receipts for postage with the copies of the letters sent.

I registered my acknowledgement of service online on 29th January do I need to do anything more for now?

If I receive any response from them in regards to my letters I'll post on here. As I have more proof of postage and have seen the letters were delivered in good time do I need to follow up at any point?

At which point do I need to go back in to submit my defence online if they are not forth coming with a reply? As I would hate to miss my deadlines and really don't want the sleepless nights to continue any longer than they need to.

If they fail to reply to the letters and I specify this in my defence what is the likely outcome or next stage of the process?

And finally I just wanted to ask how I go about asking them to account for the huge amount they are claiming if it does proceed further as my credit file shows an opening balance of just £463 miles away from the £2000+ outstanding and the original balance I started to clear of £3000+ in 2014. I know my credit limit may have increased over the 2 years I had the credit card from 2008-2010 but £3000+ seems a massive increase and I did not think they even offered such high limits.

I'm really grateful to this forum for the assistance and support at such a horribly low time in my life.

Many thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by NewToThisStuff View Post
        Hi there,
        Just an update from me on this, the letters were all signed for on Monday 1st February and I've printed copies of the proof of delivery and kept my receipts for postage with the copies of the letters sent.

I registered my acknowledgement of service online on 29th January do I need to do anything more for now?

If I receive any response from them in regards to my letters I'll post on here. As I have more proof of postage and have seen the letters were delivered in good time do I need to follow up at any point?

At which point do I need to go back in to submit my defence online if they are not forth coming with a reply? As I would hate to miss my deadlines and really don't want the sleepless nights to continue any longer than they need to.

If they fail to reply to the letters and I specify this in my defence what is the likely outcome or next stage of the process?

And finally I just wanted to ask how I go about asking them to account for the huge amount they are claiming if it does proceed further as my credit file shows an opening balance of just £463 miles away from the £2000+ outstanding and the original balance I started to clear of £3000+ in 2014. I know my credit limit may have increased over the 2 years I had the credit card from 2008-2010 but £3000+ seems a massive increase and I did not think they even offered such high limits.

I'm really grateful to this forum for the assistance and support at such a horribly low time in my life.

Many thanks all
        Hi, I've just had one for a debt from 2009 , so I will copy and paste your fab letter with my reply to the courts . And await!!

Comment

Originally posted by katy19660 View Post
          I've just had one for a debt from 2009 , so I will copy and paste your fab letter with my reply to the courts .

Do you mean you have just received a claim from Cabot issued by Mortimer Clarke solicitors for an ex-Vanquis credit card?

No two claims are the same - they each need individual handing.

Can you post/type up the Particulars of Claim (removing anything which could identify you) to see what they're claiming and why they think they have the right to claim it.

Ideally start a new thread

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X