• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

141 withholding caller ID

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 141 withholding caller ID

Hi Amethyst, thanks for all that. I have had a chat with Ofcom already. The chap said they get very occasional complaints about 141, it seems quite rare. I am awaiting a response from the technical people @ TalkTalk, I've asked them to investigate (but hold out about 0 hope of a sensible reply).
    Only No.2 of the data protection thing applies, which says that the caller can supress their number by using 141.
    I need to somehow tease out which end failed... I saw somewhere that there are illegal ways of overriding the block (presumably using whatever the emergency services use), would HMRC stoop to that?

Comment

Well, I emailed Dido Harding, it got passed to an ineffectual lackey whose presence at work is somewhat unreliable. Meanwhile, I found this http://www.contrarisk.com/2014/06/ca...make-me-laugh/
      It seems quite a widespread issue. Have been to ICO (data protection breach) and Telcoms Ombusdman (service not provided/customer service ineffectual), will update as and when anything actually happens.

Comment

my 2 cent

when you put 141 before the number, doesn't mean that all the exchanges will pass it on with the number, its only the exit exchange that strips the number. if your call routing passes you out the country, them servers dont always pass on the 141 bit

and

I would imaging that HMRC may use the number to implement security checks ( but not necessarily keep a record of it ). and also may use it for call handling ( directing ).
        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Well, I finally got a response from the Telecoms Ombudsman. They were as surprised as me it seems, but can do nothing about it. It only took them from April to November! They will ask TalkTalk to consider altering the incorrect information given, but can’t make them. I’m offered £60 ‘goodwill payment’ off my account by TalkTalk, which the ombudsman agrees is ‘fair and appropriate’.

Oh, and a written apology from TalkTalk for the time taken to provide a response and for providing mis-advice.

Life changing stuff, not.
          I have not agreed with their ‘considered’ response, and asked that a higher award be made in favour of TAP. And that all telecom providers publish the correct information.
          Even the likes of Matalan use an override to collect customer information.

Comment

Tell me the secret of that override !!! Would be useful to get the numbers of those cold callers so that it can be reported effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
              Tell me the secret of that override !!! Would be useful to get the numbers of those cold callers so that it can be reported effectively.
              Wouldn't that be nice? I had a particularly offensive one this morning (sexual threats), they've started since I spoke to the Ombudsman folk, and seem confidant that I'm with TalkTalk.
              But I do have the number, 01634 256877, not that it will help.
              Last edited by Adamna; 5th November 2016, 15:19:PM.

Comment

Got a call from 01634256877, Indian sounding male sounded like a call centre. We think it's from the Talktalk hack business last year. Keep getting calls from various numbers all Indian. Notified Talktalk who have given a number to dial to block unwanted callers like these Indians. Everyday now several times!

This caller pretended to be from talk talk and tried to get me to alter my router to gain access to my computer. when I threatened to call the police they laughed and said 'what do you think they will do'.I have now reported them on Actionfraud website as instructed by local police.

from whocallsme site

- - - Updated - - -

we use to get these type calls from USA about 2 years ago!

Comment

Those Indians keep changing what they tell people they call. It used to be Microsoft, then it was BT. No release of data. just normal random dialling and a false number for the display.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                    Got a call from 01634256877, Indian sounding male sounded like a call centre. We think it's from the Talktalk hack business last year. ....
                    Yes I arrived at the same website.

Comment

Those Indians keep changing what they tell people they call. It used to be Microsoft, then it was BT. No release of data. just normal random dialling and a false number for the display.
                      I totally understand that, and have suffered all over the years. These start with the specific of saying they are from TalkTalk, repeatedly for several days. In the grand scheme, Microsoft and BT are better catch-alls if you want to scam somebody than TalkTalk. Both the former supply everybody.

Comment

I get spam callers all the time, some asking me to answer survey and others wanting to fix my broadband. It's very frustrating as they call every few days. I keep the chat brief and say I don't do surveys and don't have home internet. I thought cold callers telephone numbers had to show up on your phone so thought that might have reduced the calls. Wrong!!!

Comment

Update on this, they did have the subscriber's name on a recent 'TalkTalk' scam call. So I would say it is part of the TalkTalk hack, and have told Talk Talk.

Comment

Has anyone got experience with BT's Call Protect?

Two problems that I have found is you need
                            (a) to have answered a call
                            (b) you need a numer to add to the "sin bin"

Any suggestions?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X