• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

re: when does a protective writ expire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re: when does a protective writ expire?

Hi,

I've had notification from a Liquitaion practitioner that they intend to re-open a protective writ enabling them to take directors to court for misfeasance.

As one of the directors - who absolutely contests the misfeasance charge ( honestly it looks like a scam to use up the last few ££££s of the realisations of liquidation!) - I'd like to know how long after the original protective writ was made can they re-open the writ and use it to sue me?

Basically the case was 6 years old when the writ was first acquired.
    I have never seen or heard about the writ at any point until now.
    IMPORTANTLY - the writ was started in 2008 and 8 years later they are trying to re-open it.

If they can still do this indefinitely then what is the point in the original 6 years limit of perusing me on this issue - if a vague protective writ can simply be re-opened at any time?

Basically this has been hanging over me for 14 years now and in all that time I've had no contact from the Liquidator or any solicitors.
    I found out about the original writ and the reopening as I'm also a creditor - and receive a creditors letter ever year. This year it told me they were suing the directors by opening this protective writ.

I've contacted 3 solicitors so far and not one of them has been able to answer my question. PLEASE help.

ALSO: The liquidation proceedings brought in c£100,000 sum in the first 6 months of liquidation - 2002 with the help of the directors, finishing off work - unpaid!
    Since then and for the last 14 years the liquidator has brought in £0.00 from debtors. The balance of the account now stands at £500 as the liquidator and his firm of solicitors has used all £100,000 in their fees - with no results.

They now seem to be turning to the directors to REFILL their slush fund.
    Their grounds being that we had a book debt that we should have know couldn't be paid becuase the company that owed it was 'technically' insolvent.
    The irony is we did the work (services), the debtor didn't pay, the liquidator spent £30k suing the debtor, eventually winding them up and getting no money and now he thinks we should pay the debt for work we did and didn't get paid for.
    He says we should have know they were insolvent in 2001 even though he spent £30K suing them and winding them up in 2009!!!
    They continued to trade for 8 years after - and he add an easy route to say they were insolvent by looking at their accounts.
    Why is this rule good enough to pursue us but he is totally exempt from this "you should have known they were insolvent!"
    It's the craziest thing I've ever heard but its a true story.
    Please - somebody - what can I do about this as I'm trying to move on with my life and simply can't thinking that I'm going to summonsed to court any minute. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Thanks.

Desperate!
    Tags: None

Re: when does a protective writ expire?

Googled protective writ and found this-

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/technicalmanual/Ch25-36/Chapter31/part9/part7/Part%207.htm

Scroll down to 31.9.146 and read on, following the links as you go.

Comment

Re: when does a protective writ expire?

Originally posted by mariefab View Post
      Googled protective writ and found this-

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/technicalmanual/Ch25-36/Chapter31/part9/part7/Part%207.htm

Scroll down to 31.9.146 and read on, following the links as you go.

If that is correct then they are about 7.5 years late! But sure the solicitor reopening the writ should know the law? So my fear is there are circumstances where a writ can be reopened after an indefinite period.
      I'd love to have a definitive answer OR even someone to point me to a place/person/organisation who would give me a definite answer.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X