• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Boundary Fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boundary Fence

Hi Guys,

Im having a bit of a panic about a fence i have erected which is 1.9 Meters high.

As far as i can see on the planning portal, the maximum fence height allowed is 2 Meters...however my lovely neighbors are giving me 'stick' for it.

There is an existing boundary fence between the 2 houses which is approx. 3ft high. Due to continual harassment, we wanted to gain back some privacy, so next to the existing boundary fence on my side i have erected a fence to a height of 1.9 Meters and at some expense to myself.

FYI - The boundary fence divides the 2 front gardens.

By law, Is there anything that my neighbors can do to have this taken down?

The only thing i can see in the deed is:

within ******* weeks of this
    transfer to install and forever thereafter to maintain an animal proof fence 4 feet high around the garden where indicated by T marks on the Plan

It doesn't say a maximum height of 4ft.

Thanks.
    Last edited by stressederic; 26th January 2016, 17:18:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Boundary Fence

IIRC

Within 3 metres of a road fences should not be more than 1 metre in height.

Up to 1.9 feet is normally acceptable, any higher may require planning permission.

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
      IIRC

Within 3 metres of a road fences should not be more than 1 metre in height.

Up to 1.9 feet is normally acceptable, any higher may require planning permission.

There is no public road within 3 meters. There is a driveway.

Comment

As this is in the front garden, you may have needed planning permission even if it does not abut a road or footway.
        you could be changing the townscape
        I would suggest a quick word with local planning authority to ascertain their position before proceeding.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          As this is in the front garden, you may have needed planning permission even if it does not abut a road or footway.
          you could be changing the townscape
          I would suggest a quick word with local planning authority to ascertain their position before proceeding.
          i've already erected it.

i live rural, down a 1 mile farm track...so it doesnt really change the townscape

Comment

If your fence abuts the footway over which there is a driveway, your new fence might adversely affect the splay and visibility lines of the driveway.

- - - Updated - - -

Private farm track miles from a public road.......... lucky you but pity about the neighbours!

Comment

The footway is at the other side of the driveway plus the fence hardly effects the view of the driveway. And from their house doesn't effect view at all as the level of the house means they can see over fence from house.
              Last edited by stressederic; 26th January 2016, 18:23:PM.

Comment

Check with the Council and maybe take the deeds to a Solicitor to check the clause about the fence before the neighbour goes legal this cost result in a big costs bill to you we have all read of similar disputes

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  Check with the Council and maybe take the deeds to a Solicitor to check the clause about the fence before the neighbour goes legal this cost result in a big costs bill to you we have all read of similar disputes
                  but there is nothing stating a max height of 4 foot on deeds. It just States on deeds to install and maintain a 4 foot animal proof fence...
                  I am within the planing regs height and its on my land...surely i have not done anything untoward here and am not breaking any laws?

Comment

I doubt you have anything to worry about, but just to make sure make enquiries off the council.

Comment

The doorway as at the other side of the driveway plus the fence hardly effects the view of the driveway. And from their house doesn't effect view at all as the level of the house means they can see over fence from house.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                        I doubt you have anything to worry about, but just to make sure make enquiries off the council.
                        I called council other day and they said can only give informal advice but as long as not over 2 meters should be ok. And pointed me to planning portal.

Comment

If you are happy that it is within the legal height and the deeds permit it stop worrying about the neighbour

Comment

I was working as a painter in London years ago when the neighbors dog broke free through the fence, so after this I would go for the strongest and highest fence possible.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X