• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Daughter has water company debt she cant pay.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter has water company debt she cant pay.

My daughter is a one parent family with her 15 month old little girl and has been paying monthly (through me) unknowingly since she moved into her flat on 28th Nov 2014 just the water supply side to a company here in the south.
    She has recently received for the very first time from a different company 2 bills for waste water (1 for 28th Nov 2014 - 31st Mar 2015)
    the other for the period (1st April 2015 - 31st Mar 2016) £105.80 and £399.51 respectively.
    At no time since she moved in on 28th Nov 2014 has she ever had any correspondence from the company that deals with the waste water?
    Neither to 'the occupier or to the unknown tenant) the sort of letters that are on your mat when you move in, so this is the first time they have been in touch.

She is in no position to settle the outstanding amount of just over £500 (neither are we for her) and she is on such a tight budget and has no savings and would be only able to pay the normal amount + a very small amount on top each month.

What would you advise would be the best way she would reply to them to deal with this situation? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks from a worried dad.
    Tags: None

Re: Daughter has water company debt she cant pay.

Most (if not all) water companies have trust funds to assist those in arrears or in need of assistance.
    Either research , or post up the company involved so we can have a look round for your daughter.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply des8
      The company involved is Southern Water

Comment

In the first instance I would write to Southern water and explain the position.
        If a customer is £600 in arrears, and 2 years behind they have a scheme whereby they match the credit made by the customer. https://www.southernwater.co.uk/newstart
        This probably won't be of direct assistance to your daughter, but they will probably accept payments which meet current charges plus a little off the arrears.
        Explain her financial position, refer to their scheme and ask why they allowed arrears to build up.
        She might be able to negotiate with them, so that they write of a portion of the outstanding amount, especially if they were partly to blame for it.

Presumably her water supply is from another company

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          If a customer is £600 in arrears, and 2 years behind they have a scheme whereby they match the credit made by the customer. https://www.southernwater.co.uk/newstart
          This probably won't be of direct assistance to your daughter, but they will probably accept payments which meet current charges plus a little off the arrears.
          Explain her financial position, refer to their scheme and ask why they allowed arrears to build up.
          She might be able to negotiate with them, so that they write of a portion of the outstanding amount, especially if they were partly to blame for it.

Thanks very much for your helpful reply,
          the other supplier is South East water,
          Its a shame the starting threshold is £600 arrears for that scheme (seems quite high),
          I will get her to write to them at her earliest opportunity and will get back to you and let you know what they say?
          Probably best sent by email as then there is proof and everything is logged?
          Once again thanks for your advice

Comment

I'm old fashioned and prefer snail mail "signed for".
            Others prefer email (its free!) and I understand you can check delivery, "But I knows nothing of that!"

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Hi Des8
              we got this reply from Southern Water

Firstly please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and confusion caused by the bills we have sent to you.
              In your case we were notified of your moving into the flat directly by your landlord on 24th nov 2014 and an account was then set up.
              I confirm that Southern water is responsible for the treatment and disposal of wastewater from this property.
              South East water supply the fresh water and they will bill you separately for this service.
              They informed us that the property was fitted with a water meter and we have an arrangement with them tolet us know what the water readings are in order for us to bill for waste and our charges are based on the information they give to us.
              Unfortunately South East Water failed to send over any meter readings to us which has meant no bills have been produced.
              We then received notification from the water company on 12th Jan 2016 that regrettably the water meter details we had were duplicated with another property.
              As a result of this the basis of charge needed to be reverted back to Rateable Value, a fixed annual amount based on the property rather than actual water consumption. Subsequently this meant that all the bills were produced at once covering the period between 28th Nov 2014 - 31st Mar 2016.
              Having reviewed the account I confirm the above outstanding amount quoted in your bill is incorrect.
              We have issued a bill for £399.51 this amount includes £105.80, so the total amount outstanding balance is £399.51.
              In view of the inconvenience that this matter has caused I have arranged for your charges to be reviewed and amended to start from this financial year, this has subsequently reduced your bill by £105.80 and the new outstanding balance is £293.71.
              I believe our payment scheme will be helpful on this occasion, as it will help spread the outstanding balance over a longer period of time reducing your monthly payments. This can be done weekly, fortnightly, or monthly by direct debit or payment card.

This was sent by the Customer Relations Case Manager.

Des8, what do you make of this? they seem to be acting quite nicely about this situation? Do you think there is any more room for leverage? Thanks and regards DGS

Comment

All you can do is write and ask, nothing ventured nothing gained.

But they have put their hands up, apologised and rebated over £100, and are allowing your daughter to spread the cost.
                I personally would be satisfied, others wouldn't!

I don't know how extended the payment period is. If it still leaves your daughter in difficulties she could request a longer term.
                Probably more likely to get that , than a further reduction

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X