• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Boiler spares faulty/fitted no return policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler spares faulty/fitted no return policy

Fault.........Baxi controller PCB (on 10 year old unit no longer supported by manufacturers repair services)

Determined following specific unit Baxi fault diagnosis manual.

Checked all pins/connections, resistance on valve, continuity of cables..........all within limits. Mains supply correct.

Replaced controller PCB from local supplier with new manufacturers recommended part.

Problem still exists;

Replaced, gas control valve,ignition/thermocouple assembly,new cables, new thermostat. (all new) lots of £££££££s

Problem still exists;

Replaced PCB (again) with new from different supplier.

Hey.....presto.............all working like it was new.
    -------------------------------------------------
    The problem now...................was the original (new supplied) PCB faulty (quite likely), if so what consumer rights does one have on no returns policies ?

What would be the case for further tests to be carried out on whether it (alleged faulty PCB) can be checked for defects ?

Opinions please.
    Tags: None

Re: Boiler spares faulty/fitted no return policy

who fitted all these

Comment

Consumer Rights Act 2015
      Trader supplies faulty goods
      consumer has right to reject goods without question within 30 days of purchase
      No returns policy does not override your statutory rights

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        who fitted all these
        I did.............in my own interests of course & to eliminate all other possibilities...................the fault sequence remained the same even though the replaced parts checked out as working.

Comment

Which Baxi boiler?

Comment

Carefullif you are dealing with gas boiler and are not Gas safe registered you should be able to get a replacement PCB from supplier who was it?

Comment

Originally posted by meellis View Post
              Which Baxi boiler?
              Baxi Bermuda inset 3 super 50/5

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                Carefullif you are dealing with gas boiler and are not Gas safe registered you should be able to get a replacement PCB from supplier who was it?
                Yes I am aware of the non expert consequences & took more precautions as a result. The so called engineer (called out) recommended E-bay for spares non specified, which, in turn, gave me no confidence whatsoever.

Comment

I have found a lot of Baxi/potterton pcbs to be suspect and their products haven't been great for quite a while. When I make the mistake and turn up to fix one I try to get the customer to take out the baxi repair insurance (heat team). A lot of their engineers aren't great but they have a van load of parts and swap them till they cure fault. For people like me, Self employed gas safe engineer, it can get to costly trying to cure these faults especially when there is a no return policy on electronic goods with suppliers especially when they have been removed from anti-static packaging. I installed the next generation condensing Bermuda 4 years ago which played up this year. After trying £250 worth of parts recommended by baxi technical I decided to call heat team out, the one off charge for a fix was less than the next part I was contemplating fitting. They promptly turned up and replaced the workings of the boiler 3 times without fixing it which would have been approx £1200 to me. We eventually found out that it was fluctuating mains voltage to the property that caused the fault and they installed a mains conditioning device and cured the fault. Some of their pcb's don't have proper protection if there are failures elsewhere on the boiler so a faulty gas valve could blow a pcb instead of a fuse. Strangely though Baxi's seem more prone to these faults than any other boiler if you understand what I am saying which is why if you look up the history on the potterton suprima and watchdog you could understand my reasons for having the doubts I have about their products.

Comment

If brought on ebay was it a business seller you should try to raise a dispute on ebay if possible

When we sold boiler spares online we had returned pcbs sent back and were always refunded

Comment

Coincidently there were a lot of companies doing good business repairing baxi/potterton pcb's but most gave up because it was pointed out that they couldn't issue correct test certificates to validate the repairs made even though the repairs were probably to a higher standard than the original boards.

Comment

eerrrmmm, heres a landlord tip. ( if your fault was boiler cutting out, looking like faulty diverter valve or pcb. )

condenser boilers usualy reliy on a inlet flow spindle ( plastic crappy thing with magnet inside ) , hidden on the cold inlet, in hard to service points,, if this gets scale on it, the boiler reads as low flow rate and will not fire, or fires and shuts down.

If you come across a fault thats not a leak on a condenser bioler ( water or combi ). Look for a boiler powerflush machine at your local hire place, you rent these, with chemicals,, disconnect the water in and out on your boiler/ch systems, run it for an hour or so, hay presto, 8 * out of 10, you solve the problem, servinging your boiler this way every 2 or three years make it very efficint.

You dont go anywhere near the gas pipes, heads so can be done legaly by a home user

And, with rental and chemical coming in between £ 60-80, it makes sense as a first try to solve a not firing boiler
                        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Just to clarify.....................this was a new board (recommended spare) it was supplied in the original packaging & anti-static cover.

It was supplied by a local reputable heating spares stockist.

It was paid for on Pay-pal (the original alleged faulty board) & collected by myself, as indeed the second board was with, the exception of paying by visa.

It makes good sense what you write Meelis................................but it still really gets my goat.

Baxi would not come out to this unit, they stated it was out of their remit & recommended calling from a list of private engineers.

Comment

Think you have to use your consumer rights and get a refund/new PCB

Comment

Originally posted by meellis View Post
                              Coincidently there were a lot of companies doing good business repairing baxi/potterton pcb's but most gave up because it was pointed out that they couldn't issue correct test certificates to validate the repairs made even though the repairs were probably to a higher standard than the original boards.
                              Yes................these are all over E-bay. I could not afford to risk it though, my Mrs really poorly & suffering the cold, priority being first of course safety & the repairs carried out efficiently.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X