• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Sacked - Employee Loan to Repay.... BUT...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sacked - Employee Loan to Repay.... BUT...

Is the interest rate above 1.5% ?

M1

Comment

The threats see to say they are accusing you of some wrong doing
      I would be inclined to tackle that head on but that is up to you

Before you say you will call on the ex director , maybe you should check to see if he is willing to back up your story, after all people do tend to change their stories when their own reputation/neck is on the line. This could be particularly so if the investigations of the accounts show some less than open actions on his part

Comment

Originally posted by NWHC View Post

Before you say you will call on the ex director , maybe you should check to see if he is willing to back up your story, after all people do tend to change their stories when their own reputation/neck is on the line. This could be particularly so if the investigations of the accounts show some less than open actions on his part
        Even if the accounts did paint the ex-director in a bad light, leading him/her to be unwilling to be a witness, they can be ordered by the courts to be a witness of the defence via a witness summons (Supoena), even in civil court cases.

Though granted it is best to ask the ex-director first - Out of politeness more than anything else!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

I understand what you are saying teaboy but isn't there still something in giving evidence that says you don't have to incriminate yourself. People are all too quick to abandon people when they really need help

Comment

But the questions will only be specific to the case that OP is defending, therefore only specific to the actual the loan itself. There is nothing to suggest the director was involved in anything else. The treats made to the OP by the employer are specifically towards the OP.

And you can still testify as a witness even if your also accused of anything by the claiment, though the questions would have to be specific to the claim the employer is making against the OP, not subject to any accusation against the director themself! So in other words, if the take the OP to court about the loan, then that is all they can question the witness about! Plus the witness can refuse to answer questions that may incriminate them, or that are nothing to do with the claim against the OP!
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

If it helps, I think the letter should end with 'strongly contested'.

I have taken it that there was not interest agreed on the loan and it was a simple here's X for X months pay it back at X a month.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                Repay the loan as originally agreed. You should stick to the terms that you agreed with the company ( via the ex-director).

The loan was made to you by the company and authorised by a director of the company.

That is all that is important to you. It is not of your concern that the director acted without obtaining authorisation from his fellow directors.

If they bring court action you can rely on the terms which were agreed at the time of the loan and they will have to evidence otherwise. I do not see any point playing letter tennis about a non existent written agreement.

I'd respond to them someting along the lines of;

On xxxxx a loan of Łxxxxx was agreed between myself and XXX companyname xxxx and a verbal contract entered into with the company through Mr XXXXXX (Director). The terms of this loan were that it would be repaid at a rate of Łxxxx per calendar month with the first payment being made on XX January 2016 until XX whenever 2017. Payments will be made as agreed and should any court action be taken against me in respect of this loan the claim will be strongly contested.
                This sounds good. I'll put this together tonight and send back.

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                Add the bit in red that i have added too. As you will be able to call upon the previous director as a witness should this go to court. And once they read that bit, it will more or less put a spanner in the works for them, as clearly the previous director is going to confirm everything you have said, and spill the beans of why he left i.e. argument with the shareholder / New director, whom immediately dismissed you as a result of the loan. Which would also probably win you your counter claim for unfair/wrongful dismissal against them!

Also add that if payment in lieu of notice and for accured holidays and any other monies outstanding are not paid to you within 14 days then you will subtract the amounts owed from the total balance of the loan!
                Noted. Haven't seen/heard anything about final pay or P45 so will be interesting if there is a response on any of this..

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
                Is the interest rate above 1.5% ?

M1
                3.25% in line with HMRC's rates or it would be taxable + NI generating..

Originally posted by NWHC View Post

Seems a bold statement, as if they are definitely threatening/blackmailing me to pay. I haven't done anything wrong so I think this is out of order.

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                Even if the accounts did paint the ex-director in a bad light, leading him/her to be unwilling to be a witness, they can be ordered by the courts to be a witness of the defence via a witness summons (Supoena), even in civil court cases.

Though granted it is best to ask the ex-director first - Out of politeness more than anything else!
                I've spoken to him (ex-director) - he is 100% on my side. He can't stand the swines. He's got a bit of a battle going on with them as it is..

If it helps, I think the letter should end with 'strongly contested'.

I have taken it that there was not interest agreed on the loan and it was a simple here's X for X months pay it back at X a month.
                See above

Comment

So it's a formal beneficial loan arrangement. In what way are they saying it was unlawful? or is that all they have said?
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

So it's a formal beneficial loan arrangement. In what way are they saying it was unlawful? or is that all they have said?
                    No actual reason given..

Just them dropping the word in to make me panic maybe?

I questioned how it was 'unlawful' and got no response, just a further threatening letter.

Comment

As it's more than 1% above base rate then the consumer credit act applies. Send a section 77 request

M1

Comment

Gald to see the Ex director is on your side, maybe we could help him/her with his own battle against this Muppet new director whom seems to be nothing more than a spoilt bully with a few quid in his bank account to throw around!

Comment

Its great to know the ex director is on your side. The reason I was cautious is that I have seen people lie through their teeth to save their own skins on many occasions.

M1 I find it intriguing that the Consumer credit Act comes into play, does that mean that the firm need a consumer credit licence?
                          If they do what are the consequences of not having one and who would be liable?

Comment

For the odd employee loan they don't need a ccl. But the loan does need to comply with the CCA.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks for explaining
                              The law is bizarre

Comment

On top of what @Amethyst and @mystery1 have said @NWHC - If the employer can not produce a copy of the consumer credit agreement the loan was made under, then the company can kiss the money goodbye! Plus the employer would be in breach of the cosunsumer credit act 1974 as they are responisable for ensuring they comply with the law when issuing such a loan, not the employee!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X