• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British gas broke in to my home!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British gas broke in to my home!!!

Hello Everyone,

On completion of my house purchase I arranged to change gas and electric supply from British Gas to Eon. When I moved in I called BG to advise of meter readings and that I didnt need the tarriff info etc as I had already instructed Eon to arrange transfer. BG advised they hadnt received the transfer notification so I contacted Eon. They advised that they had no record of transfer but I could set it up again online- which I of course did. Several months later I received a letter from Eon stating BG had refused my transfer. A call to BG was made and they stated this was because I had a debit on the account for the first month- I set up a dd to cover this and any time in between transfer. I then set up a supplier transfer for a third time. I didnt receive any letters from either supplier and BG cancelled my DD so I presumed I was in the midst of the transfer process. Move forward another several months later (today) and I come home to what I initially thought was a burglary. My dogs had been let loose and my internal doors were open. There was a letter placed on my sofa with an incorrect date 08/01/2015 stating BG had entered my property after obtaining a warrant and fitted a prepayment meter to recover non payment. The electric supply was in the room that my four small dogs were in and they decided to let my dogs roam free to get access and my sofa and kitchen were subsequently damaged severely by my very upset dogs. We had not received any letters from BG or given the opportunity to contest the warrant.I can not believe that this has happened. Can you please advise if this is legal and offer any advice how to proceed with a complaint. Your help and advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: British gas broke in to my home!!!

Hi and welcome,
    It is supposed to be a simple task now to switch suppliers, looks like you are having more than just a blip.
    If you have owed BG for more than 28 days then they can prevent you from switching.
    Do you have any bills at all from BG? also proof of the DD payments?
    When they cancelled your DD (because of the switch ( I presume) you should have been sent a final bill.
    You should certainly have been warned at least a couple of weeks before they actually gained entry and as far as I know this is next to the last resort re debt the last being cut off.
    You ask is 'this legal' well yes, it is if they had a properly served Warrant of Entry. To get a warrant they would have to state that they had tried and failed to get payment from you.
    Must have been very upsetting for your dogs and the damage caused by the their panic.

This is BG complaints procedure

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and...omplaints.html

If they you do not get a positive outcome then you can go to the ombudsman BG are a member

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/co...ny-energy.html

or you can skip this and email or write to the CEO

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X