• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Maternity pay????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity pay????

Hi guys, i am new to this whole forum advice thingy, please be nice to me!
    (little bit of back story)
    I told my Line manager about my pregnancy in June (at 8 weeks pregnant), made her aware of the date i would be leaving work in August (at almost 22 weeks pregnant) she said that she would sort all of the maternity paperwork and assured me that i would be getting the correct amount of maternity pay. Every time i asked about it, making sure everything was sorted, she kept telling me it was all under control and that i had nothing to worry about.
    I started my maternity leave at the end of November 2015, with the understanding that my Maternity pay would be paid in the same way as my regular wages (Same day, time, account etc) would be paid.
    I was supposed to be paid on 31/12/15. This day rolled around and nothing was in my bank. I went to speak to my assistant manager the same day, who seemed just as surprised as i did. (The manager left the company 18/12/15). My Assistant manager contacted the Area manager with regards to this, and the Area manager did not even know i was on maternity leave! He said that he would contact the owner of the company with regards to this and get back to me after the weekend (I let this slide as it was new years eve and people don't tend to work over this weekend). I checked my bank on Monday 4/1/16 and still nothing, so i contacted the Area manager again, and he said he had spoken to the company owner and it was being sorted, he would again contact me when he knows what is happening. I then emailed Area manager on 5/1/16 as i was going into hospital and possibly being induced, so i would not be able to answer my phone as i would not have access to it whilst in labour, i also explained in this email that it had now been 5 days since i was supposed to get paid and it was not acceptable to leave anybody without wages for this amount of time, i have had a number of direct debits bounce from my bank account, my rent cannot be paid (Luckily i have a very understanding landlord who is aware of this entire situation). It is now 6/1/16 and i have STILL not received any form of payment, or had any contact with the area manager or company owner other than the phone calls i have made and the emails i have made myself. They have not made any contact with me.
    Any help on how i can go about this and get my pay would be greatly appreciated, my due date is January 15th so i could give birth any day now and this kind of stress really isn't helping!!
    Tags: None

Re: Maternity pay????

Okay it sounds like your timings are right, if you informed them of your maternity leave date before 15th August and you started maternity leave after 28th Nov.... as you have to give 15 weeks notice. Your employer should have written to you confirming the start and end dates of your maternity leave ? did they do that ?

Are you definitely entitled to Maternity pay ? ( eg. how long have you worked for the company ) Is it full maternity pay under your contract or statutory maternity pay ?

Did they confirm to you in writing that you would be getting maternity pay ? They should have done that too with start and end date and amounts.

It sounds like this manager of yours has mucked things up totally.... then left the company. It doesn't sound like she did any thing about your maternity leave at all. Do you have an HR department or anything in your firm ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I Have worked for the company for 4 years, in my contract i am entitled to Statutory maternity pay.
      I have not had any letters of confirmation of maternity pay or anything, as this is my first pregnancy i have never had to deal with maternity pay or anything before, so i had no idea about what had to be done in terms of sorting it all out, my manager at the time made it feel like she had it all under control and all i had to do was tell her when i was pregnant, when i was leaving and when i was coming back. I do have a HR department.

Comment

You could send another email saying something like...

Although you assured me that the Company's failure to pay me while I'm on maternity leave was being sorted, I am still waiting for the payment that was due on 31/12/15.
        As a direct result of the Company's failure I have a number of bounced direct debits, unpaid rent and a great deal of avoidable stress at a time when I could give birth at any moment.
        Given that the absolute minimum payment due on 31/12/15 was 90% of my normal wage can you at least deposit that amount into my account today?
        It may help to alleviate some of the stress this has caused.

- - - Updated - - -

Are pay problems normal events with this employer?

Comment

I sent an email saying pretty much the same this yesterday, and i have not got a reply, phone call, voicemail or anything. Pay problems don't happen very often, but when they do they have always been resolved within 24 hours (in my cases, anyhow)

Comment

It's okay, your manager is in the wrong completely.

I'd be getting in touch with the HR department on the phone and bypass the manager for now. HR deal with the payroll and will have had to deal with the forms for stat maternity pay, and SHOULD have been responsible for the letters about maternity leaves dates and pay amount and dates. I'd try speak to them first, you might find they know nothing about it ( which would be pretty crap but at least you'd know if you were just being given the run around by these managers and can be doing something to sort it out )
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I will get in touch with HR this afternoon, or whenever i can get the phone number. Thank you so much for helping

Comment

You manager must have passed on some information. After all you've worked there for 4 years and if was simply that they didn't know you were on maternity leave you should have received your normal full pay.
                The only reason I can think of for paying nothing would be if they'd been informed that you resigned giving no notice. In which case you would have received a P45.

Comment

i do shift work so my wage varies depending on the hours i work that month, so in me not receiving any wages they would just assume that i have not worked any hours since November.

Comment

You earn over £112 a week usually ?

Are you on a 'zero-hours' contract ? ( still entitled to SMP )
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

You are paid at the end of each month?

Comment

I am on a 16 hour contract and my wages varied from £120-£180 a week, depending on the time of year.

- - - Updated - - -

Last working day, usually, yes.

Comment

Check your wages for August and September.
                          For a rough calculation add the gross wage for those 2 months together and divide by 9.
                          Is the resulting figure at least £112?

Comment

The figure i got back from doing this was £133.

Comment

Great!
                              I didn't want to alarm you, but after what you said in your post #9 I was concerned that you may not have earned enough in the qualifying period.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X