• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Other duties as reasonably required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other duties as reasonably required

I am required by my job to regularly (every day) perform duties that amount to approximately 20-25% of my weekly working hours that carry a higher rate of pay. I don't get the higher rate of pay - in fact the role is listed on another persons job description and they have never been required to perform these duties. The two jobs require completely different skills.

What are my rights? Really hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Other duties as reasonably required

If your effectively doing tasks that belong to another persons role and they are not therefore doing said tasks as a result of you doing them.

Then 1) you should be paid extra

or 2) the tasks should be given back to the person who is supposed to be doing them according to there contractual duties.

First step - have an informal discussion about this with your manager making it clear you will no longer be performing the extra tasks and said tasks should be performed by the person who's duties said tasks fall under. Also point out whilst your aware that you expected to carry out reasonable requests, there is a differences between reasonable use of such reasonable request clause in your contract and abuse of such use of such clause which makes the request unreasonable and a potential breach of contract.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
      If your effectively doing tasks that belong to another persons role and they are not therefore doing said tasks as a result of you doing them.

Then 1) you should be paid extra

or 2) the tasks should be given back to the person who is supposed to be doing them according to there contractual duties.

First step - have an informal discussion about this with your manager making it clear you will no longer be performing the extra tasks and said tasks should be performed by the person who's duties said tasks fall under. Also point out whilst your aware that you expected to carry out reasonable requests, there is a differences between reasonable use of such reasonable request clause in your contract and abuse of such use of such clause which makes the request unreasonable and a potential breach of contract.

Thank you for you reply. Your help is very appreciated.

This has been questioned and the duties expected for which we weren't being paid extra were confirmed in writing and again verbally. Is there a point where the percentage of time you fulfil this role makes it your main duty and incurs full pay at the same rate. The role is exclusively fulfilled by others who are paid less as opposed to those who should be fulfilling the role? Is there a claim for back pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Adelaide View Post
        Thank you for you reply. Your help is very appreciated.

This has been questioned and the duties expected for which we weren't being paid extra were confirmed in writing and again verbally. Is there a point where the percentage of time you fulfil this role makes it your main duty and incurs full pay at the same rate. The role is exclusively fulfilled by others who are paid less as opposed to those who should be fulfilling the role? Is there a claim for back pay?
        The point in time thing your referring to is known as customary and practice - But in your case it is of no use to you. As the employer could claim that as you had being do such tasks for no extra pay for x amount of time, then it was customary practice for you to perform those tasks and therefore they had become an implied term of your contract.

Your best action is to argue (informal at first, then by grievance procedure, if the informal approach doesn't work) that the extra duties being expected of you, continuously and over x amount of time, amounts to a variation of contractual terms (reference your duties in your contract) to which you do not and did not agree too. Hence why you should refuse to carry out the tasks in future as they are abusing the reasonable request clause, in order to force/make you to carry out extra duties (as an additional contractual term) - Which amounts to an unlawful variation of contract.

Though you can off course also state that you would be willing to negotiate a new level of remuneration in return for you doing the additional tasks and having them included as part of your contractual duties! - As stating that would show your willing to negotiate and resolve the issue reasonably and fairly!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
          The point in time thing your referring to is known as customary and practice - But in your case it is of no use to you. As the employer could claim that as you had being do such tasks for no extra pay for x amount of time, then it was customary practice for you to perform those tasks and therefore they had become an implied term of your contract.

Your best action is to argue (informal at first, then by grievance procedure, if the informal approach doesn't work) that the extra duties being expected of you, continuously and over x amount of time, amounts to a variation of contractual terms (reference your duties in your contract) to which you do not and did not agree too. Hence why you should refuse to carry out the tasks in future as they are abusing the reasonable request clause, in order to force/make you to carry out extra duties (as an additional contractual term) - Which amounts to an unlawful variation of contract.

Though you can off course also state that you would be willing to negotiate a new level of remuneration in return for you doing the additional tasks and having them included as part of your contractual duties! - As stating that would show your willing to negotiate and resolve the issue reasonably and fairly!
          Thanks again.

Had not received a job role/description for my job until it was discovered this role was on another's job description. I received the job description (for my job) upon request almost four years after the starting the job. I was trained from day one that these duties were part of my job - initially as cover. I was completely unaware of the reasonable request clause as I was of the impression that all duties were my job.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X