• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Benefits and penalties for witholding them

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits and penalties for witholding them

Is there any such penalty for the bank if they withold benefit because of charges?

i assume you mean state benefits?

I don't know if there is a penalty against the bank itself for doing this but you can write a letter of appropriation to stop them.

Maybe this old thread on CAG needs looking at and a letter drafting for Beagles' template library. Fancy a job Nats?!

Is the bank taking your Benefits ? - Consumer Action Group
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

no my question is that there is a law with regards to benefits and please no quotes to that crap on the other site, try an MSE links instead
      Is there a punishment for failing to do this in the first place?

Comment

Not sure if it is actually illegal for a bank to take benefit money in charges, however, I have seen it written that taking benefit money contravenes s.187 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 as s.187 clearly states that any agreement to charge shall be void against any benefit as defined in s.122 of the SSAA.

In addition, I have included an excerpt from a letter written by Patricia Hewitt MP to the Chief Executive of the British Bankers Association, although this was regarding the banks' right of set-off.

Right of set-off

Direct payment of centrally administered benefits and tax credits means that many benefit recipients now have their benefit income paid directly into basic bank accounts. This is income which the person concerned requires to sustain a minimum standard of living. Patricia Hewitt , Secretary of State for Health, recently wrote to Ian Mullen, Chief Executive of the British Bankers Association, about this matter, stating:

“I have recently heard of situations where people have become overdrawn in one of their accounts, or have incurred bank charges but have no money in their accounts to pay them, and as a result banks have taken the money from ‘direct payment’ accounts……I would like to highlight our concerns. I recognise that banks are legally entitled to do this when they are simply recouping a debt from an individual’s alternate bank account.
        However, a direct payment account is not money that belongs to the individual; it is public money to be spent on the person’s care needs. Taking this money will mean that their care needs are not met."

Letter from Patricia Hewitt, Secretary of State for Health to Ian Mullen, Chief Executive of the British Bankers Association, 26 October 2006
        Last edited by Cetelco; 23rd June 2007, 10:31:AM.

Comment

My bankers understanding is that where benefit has eaten into someone's benefit, they are entitled to the whole amount over the branch counter. THe charges will still remain as will the debt but the money is there's to take.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X