• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bryan Carter/Lowell/JD Williams - Notice of CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Carter/Lowell/JD Williams - Notice of CCJ

I hope someone can provide some advice.

My girlfriend received a letter from Bryan Carter Solicitors today, their client 'Lowell Financial Limited' RE Brand/Product 'JD Williams'.

I'm currently having some issues with accounts she previously opened in my name, and now this has arrived. The big problem here is that she did not receive anything to state a CCJ was being entered against her. For background she also suffers with mental health issues.

The letter:

Date: 17 December

Client: Lowell Financial Limited
    Brand Product: JD Williams
    Account no: ########
    Ref: ####
    Balance: £316.31

Notice of County Court Judgement

'As you know, a County Court Judgement (CCJ) was entered against you on 01 December 2015 because you did not reply to the Claim. You have now been ordered to the Court to repay this debt as follows:

Instalment: £50.00
    Every: Month
    First Payment due: 31/12/2015

It says to pay full amount within 30 days of 01 December 2015 to not have a CCJ on Credit File; to pay via BC solicitors website; if unable to pay to ensure she can make payments as ordered by the Court to avoid the possibility of further enforcement action; if not paid or fall into arrears with payment, they may consider further enforcement action.

What can she do to contest this (as the initial claim was not received), stall, or agree a lower amount? She is due to talk to CAP about other debts next Tuesday.

Thanks,
    THS01
    Last edited by ths01; 19th December 2015, 19:25:PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Tags: None

Re: Bryan Carter/Lowell/JD Williams - Notice of CCJ

Originally posted by ths01 View Post
    I hope someone can provide some advice.

My girlfriend received a letter from Bryan Carter Solicitors today, their client 'Lowell Financial Limited' RE Brand/Product 'JD Williams'.

I'm currently having some issues with accounts she previously opened in my name, and now this has arrived. The big problem here is that she did not receive anything to state a CCJ was being entered against her. For background she also suffers with mental health issues.

The letter:

Date: 17 December

Client: Lowell Financial Limited
    Brand Product: JD Williams
    Account no: ########
    Ref: ####
    Balance: £316.31

Notice of County Court Judgement

'As you know, a County Court Judgement (CCJ) was entered against you on 01 December 2015 because you did not reply to the Claim. You have now been ordered to the Court to repay this debt as follows:

Instalment: £50.00
    Every: Month
    First Payment due: 31/12/2015

It says to pay full amount within 30 days of 01 December 2015 to not have a CCJ on Credit File; to pay via BC solicitors website; if unable to pay to ensure she can make payments as ordered by the Court to avoid the possibility of further enforcement action; if not paid or fall into arrears with payment, they may consider further enforcement action.

What can she do to contest this (as the initial claim was not received), stall, or agree a lower amount? She is due to talk to CAP about other debts next Tuesday.

Thanks,
    THS01
    Good morning ths responding to your PM.

A judgement supersedes the original contract.

It is possible to apply to the court to vary the payment level ordered, Carter is not likely
    to be cooperative.

She can apply to the court to have the judgement set aside ( court form N244 fee £155.00) this needs to be done before the
    1st payment is due Carter is likely to move quickly if payment is not made.

The ground for set aside is good i.e. claim not received, there must also be a defence to the
    original claim that " Has a reasonable chance of success".

When was the account opened, and when was it defaulted? It's worth checking
    credit files to see what the dates are, you can use Noddle it's free online.

nem~

Comment

Thanks Nem.

I will attempt to look into this with my girlfriend today.

On behalf of my girlfriend I am considering writing something as below to BC Solicitors. Is this worthwhile?

"To whom it may concern.

I have received a letter from yourselves dated 17 December 2015. This notes that it is a ‘Notice of County Court Judgment’, and quote “As you know, a County Court Judgment (CCJ) was entered against you on 01 December 2015”.

Please note I did not receive this information. Please confirm which address this was sent to, and provide evidence this debt is actually mine e.g. CCA. I enclose a £1 postal order, in payment of the statutory fee, which should only be used for this purpose. I therefore require a copy of the agreement relating to this account having paid the required fee.

Please also note:

1. I suffer from a mental health condition, and so may be considered as vulnerable.
      2. Bryan Carter Solicitors LLP, and Lowell Financial Limited have never provided evidence to me that this account/debt relates to me. I should not be expected to pay a debt without evidence it relates to myself.
      3. I am currently attempting to deal with other debts with the assistance of Christians Against Poverty (CAP). Therefore I am taking reasonable steps to deal with such matters.
      4. £50 per month is not a reasonable amount for me to be able to pay per month for any debt currently, citing items 1 & 3.
      5. Had I received advice of a CCJ being entered against me I believe items 1-3 may be sufficient to ‘set-aside’ the CCJ.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I await your written response.
      Last edited by ths01; 20th December 2015, 15:05:PM. Reason: confirming the letter is on behalf of my girlfriend

Comment

get this set aside you do not have time to waste, no letters to them in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
          get this set aside you do not have time to waste, no letters to them in the mean time.
          Are the reasons I've provided good enough to get the case set aside. Is there a fee to get this set aside?

With the debts run up, it will even be difficult to raise that currently (i.e. CAP helping my gf get debts in order!

Comment

did not receive this information. for starters and She can apply to the court to have the judgement set aside ( court form N244 fee £155.00) this needs to be done before the

as Nem stated. he will be along shortly no doubt to guide you?

- - - Updated - - -

nemesis45

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
              Good morning ths responding to your PM.

A judgement supersedes the original contract.

It is possible to apply to the court to vary the payment level ordered, Carter is not likely
              to be cooperative.

She can apply to the court to have the judgement set aside ( court form N244 fee £155.00) this needs to be done before the

The ground for set aside is good i.e. claim not received, there must also be a defence to the
              original claim that " Has a reasonable chance of success".

When was the account opened, and when was it defaulted? It's worth checking
              credit files to see what the dates are, you can use Noddle it's free online.

nem~
              She checked her report using Noddle.

The only JD Williams account says it's £16 in credit and up to date.

There are several Lowell entries, but none are for the amount specified (£316.31).
              There is Lowell account for £208, as opposed to the £316.31 on the CCJ notice received from BCS. The name on the account ties in exactly with the info from BCS.
              Default was July 2014 according to Noddle.
              Noddle says account start date was Jan 2014
              Noddle only shows account history from July 2015.
              Last edited by ths01; 20th December 2015, 16:54:PM. Reason: Lowell & name

Comment

Originally posted by ths01 View Post
                She checked her report using Noddle.

The only JD Williams account says it's £16 in credit and up to date.

There are several Lowell entries, but none are for the amount specified (£316.31).
                There is Lowell account for £208, as opposed to the £316.31 on the CCJ notice received from BCS. The name on the account ties in exactly with the info from BCS.
                Default was July 2014 according to Noddle.
                Noddle says account start date was Jan 2014
                Noddle only shows account history from July 2015.
                Hi the difference in figures is I suspect the addition of court cost and solicitors fees.
                It does seem to have gone into default very quickly?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                  Hi the difference in figures is I suspect the addition of court cost and solicitors fees.
                  It does seem to have gone into default very quickly?

nem
                  It seems from my gf memory that only 1 or possibly 2 repayments were made after the account was opened. I'm not sure if 3-4 months of zero payments is quick for a default, would you say that's the case?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X